[Day 6]

DAY 6

They had wrapped up George’s body in the blanket he had worn during the last 4 days of his life, and placed it deep inside the wreck. That was all they could do for the earth and the sky of this dimension were only stone and concrete. Nate had never witnessed a death before. He found it disturbing that his first experience didn't seem to have left much of an impact on him. Maybe because he'd seen worst already and death, it seemed, was somewhat of a blessing for them at this stage. Removing the cruciation. Putting them out of their misery.

While he and Garrett covered up George and placed him inside, under the canopy of a settee situated at the far end of the sub, silent tears streamed down their faces. No burial, no cremation, just stacked inside a small pace in a collapsed carriage... even the dead had to deal with injustice in this universe.

They too, will face the same. When he dies, who will bury him? Garrett perhaps. But what if Garret leaves first? He didn't know if he'd be able to face the job of doing it. To bury Garrett. Then again, maybe Garrett can't do the same either. What if they both died together? Who will become their undertaker? 

Another possibility was bothering him. If Lia was the first, Michael would no longer have his mother's milk. It would only be a matter of time before the deprivation of his final source of food leads to the worst. What will they do then?

End his suffering.

It was the most repulsive thought Nate's mind had the audacity to speak of. And yet, he could see no other way. It was better than letting the infant starve to death. How much more ruthless can truth get? To bury a baby...

It just struck him then, that he was making plans about death. His own death and those surrounding him. It would be more appropriate to term it as 'securing their future', for that was the only future they had left and someone had to make sure it was done rightly.

If only God was merciful, as they said He was, He can bring solace to all of them.  Letting the roof collapse on them or allowing for another rock slide to crush them to pieces or perhaps even poisoning the air somehow. Anything. Just kill everyone. At least that way, no one will have to worry about the burials or bear watching each other slowly rot to death.

The only extension of life left to them was a single bottle of water. It was just another curse, furthering their trauma. Nate thought of getting rid of it, to remove that obstacle in Death's way and welcome it sooner, but he knew better than to decide others' fate by himself. Already, they'd gone foodless and  hungry since two days now. He felt the energy sapping out of him, draining him of his ability to move and talk, especially while he carried George's body inside the train.  His muscles were screaming, begging him to let go. His arms refused to cradle the weight. His mouth was dry, his tongue felt numb and his stomach was a pool of gastric juice which seemed to be eating away at his body, throbbing with pangs of hunger, again and again. It was agonizing. With their debilitating life span, they had no will left to do anything. It was a wonder no one had succumbed to cannibalism.

Yet..

As they clambered out of the wreck, they saw Lia weeping with Michael asleep in her lap. Shawn was beside her, doing the same. David sat idle, his eyes staring at something far off, invisible to Nate.

Nate walked over to them and asked David if he could take a walk with him. Strange how it sounded so casual, as if they were up for a stroll down the street or the park for a minor issue to be discussed.  The kid nodded and got up quietly without making any inquiries or giving him any questioning looks. As they started walking down the other side, Nate signalled Garrett with his eyes to not be alarmed and that they'll be back soon. The latter understood the unspoken message with a single nod of the head and leaned back against the carriage after a small sigh.