[Day 3]

DAY  3

It was early Thursday morning. 2.12 am. Two significant occurrences took place.

The torch battery died, which was not such a big issue since they all had anticipated it to happen sooner or later and had accustomed themselves to the local darkness.

Secondly, the injured man had finally awakened. He was able to muster enough strength to give his name: George.

The child, Michael, and the two high schoolers, David and Shawn, grouped around him as he sat there smiling and introducing himself. The mother, Lia, conversed lightly with him, updating him on all that had happened during the last three days in his state of absence, which wasn't much really.

The survivors were somehow ‘adapting’ to this lifeless environment. They seldom moved about the place, but they were more comfortable and stable than they were three days earlier. Well, as comfortable as you can get trapped in a dark tunnel with depleting life force.

However, with each passing day, they died more and more inside. It was as if they’d accepted it. Accepted their ends. Had prepared themselves to face the unavoidable and were just spending their days waiting for it to happen.

Things became a little lively again when David, Shawn and Garrett found some more useful medical supplies, cans of tinned peach and dried nuts and extra water bottles from the train rubble and miraculously, a blanket. They had managed to grab whatever supplements they'd found earlier, but it all had soon ran out. The child was hungry, the kids were thirsty and the old man was in an urgent need of extra clean bandages. Well, at least they would live a little longer. Nate was unsure of whether this thought served as a relief or an elongated torture.

George was quite the positive addition to the group. His head was shaved bald but he had rich amounts of dirty white beard, which Michael started to make hair knots with. His suit was caked with dried blood so Garrett and Nate had helped him take it off to reveal a thin vest and pinstripes, and then blanketed him. Apparently, he was a builder. In Nate's opinion he should've retired ages ago. He was a jolly man with a kind face, even though he was semi-paralyzed and sat stuck in one place, talking to the kids and telling them stories.

Shawn and David were seen smiling for the first time and little Michael actually giggled when George discovered the tickle spot on his little tummy. Lia was a big helping hand when it came to food and nursing. She rationed the edible items and helped the younger members of the band to wash and feed themselves, occassionally letting the teenagers lean against her knee and sleep; whatever little sleep they could summon.They all had formed some kind of a small, tightly knit community between themselves with each individual playing a vital role in it.

As they were seated in a small circle around George, Nate took the opportunity to properly observe the people he might have to spend the coming few days with.

Or the rest of his life. He slapped away the unbearable thought.

He wouldn't know since he never had experienced the love of a father or a grandfather himself, but Nate thought George must've made a very cool parent. He had a way with kids. In fact, with everyone. They were all extremely happy to have a talking and listening human being among them. The hunger for some warmth and entertainment was anguishing and George's tales and homely presence quenched their thirsts like fresh water spring. He would make a good Santa Clause. Nate made a mental note to recommend it to him when they get out of here.

The two kids were 7th graders from around a well known school in the vicinty. David and Shawn, both had their school uniforms on - a white shirt (which was not so white anymore) with a red tie dangling loosely around their necks, black formal pants and white sneakers.