23. Goodbye

23. Goodbye

The next three days past as a blur for the friends. Hermione and Ron stayed in the house Draco had bought. Blaise was drowning himself in Firewhiskey; Ginny had given up trying to make him stop and she quietly and sadly sat beside him while he drank. Rosa cried; she cried for her dead friend and for her live one who had lost the man she loved. By the time the funeral came, everyone was cried out; there were no tears left to shed for their dead friend.

The group of friends walked into the hall; their numbers minus one. Rosa looked around, the room was practically empty aside from a few teachers including McGonogall, Hagrid and Slughorn. The eight, once nine, sat in a row and mourned the loss of their once enemy now turned friend.

Hermione stood moments before the service had begun, she took Rosa's hand and the two walked towards the caskets that lay beside each other. Hermione's gentle hand brushed a stray lock of Draco'a blond hair away from his closed eyes. She bit her lip and whimpered almost silently; Rosa wrapped an arm around her friend.

"He looks as if he's sleeping." Luna said in a soft and dreamy voice, coming to join the two; she wrapped her arm around Hermione's other side.

"He looks peacful." Ginny whispered as she appeared as well, taking Rosa's hand in her own.

"Yes." Hermione agreed quietly. "Peaceful and happy."

The four girls returned back to their seat. Rosa sighed sadly as she noticed the look written clearly on Blaise's face. The war was over, there weren't supposed to be anymore tears shed for dead friends.

As the service closed, there was a choked sob from the end of their row. Blaise was hiding his face in his hand, Ginny's arms wrapped around his shaking form. Ross's heart went out to the lost wizard; he had known Draco the longest.

The group waiting until the caskets had arrived at the graveyard and Apparated there. The mix-matched group of friends stood above the twin holes in the ground. They silently stared in the face of eternity.

"Goodbye." Rosa heard Hermione whisper softly. She took the girl's hand in hers and squeezed it gently.

"Bye, Draco." Rosa said sadly, still holding Hermione's hand.

"Goodbye, Draco." Luna said, her usually dreamy voice was for once sad. She took Rosa's hand.

"Bye, Malfoy." Neville muttered and took his girlfriends hand. One after another they said goodbye and joined a hand. In the end, only Harry and Blaise stood back, both grieving for a different reason. Harry stepped forward and put a hand on Ron'a shoulder.

"We went at it a few good times, Malfoy. But you were a different man. You changed when you fell for my best friend. I actually started to enjoy your company. We... I will miss you." The group turned to see a sad faces Blaise. He fell to his knees and hid his face, Ginny sighed sadly and swept him into her arms.

"He was my best mate." He cried hoarsely. "And now he's gone!"

"Say goodbye, Blaise." Ginny whispered in his ear. The dark skinned wizard felt a warm tear drip on his shoulder; Ginny was hiding her own tears. He nodded stiffly and stood in the line with his new friends.

"Bye, Draco." He said as the tears ran down his face. "You were the best friend I've ever had. I'll miss you mate."

With their final goodbyes said, they each Apparated out of the graveyard. They left their friend behind; a new hole was left in each of their hearts as a great wizard was taken from them by the selfish acts of another.

Ginny's feet landed hard on the floor of the flat she and Blaise were sharing. She look around; he hadn't come home. Ginny sighed, knowing where her boyfriend had gone. She quickly Apparated once more. Her destination was to the Leaky Cauldron.