Chapter 7

A/N:

heh... two chapters in one day. not bad huh. well it is a special day. The Hunger Games teaser trailer came out today! it wasnt much but enough to drive fans crazy. some of us anyway.

enough blabbering! this chapter is the first chaper with some. hope you like it!

---------------------------------------------

And so tomorrow arrived.

Lessons were not my priority. Not today. Today my number one priority was the meeting at six. I forced on a calm facade while my insides were jittery with nerves. Today may be the day I make my first kill. Would it change me? No. I won't let it.

I gripped my SIG tightly in my right hand, further reassured by the cold feel of my trench knife through my socks in my high-cut sneakers. The gun was held low by my side, safety off, entirely unconcealed. I was already in the deserted corridor outside the boiler room, so it there was no point hiding my weapon. The silencer was on, too, just in case. It would undoubtedly be disastrous if a swarm of students came down from a single gunshot.

The boiler room was somewhat below the school grounds. One would have to descend a short flight of stairs to get to the basement, where the boiler room was located at. The corridor was poorly lit, and stretched into the darkness, giving it a sinister, eerie feeling. It was cold down here too, and I tucked my thick black jacket closer around me, welcoming the warmth it brought. The dull bluish-grey paint was faded and cracked, even peeling at some areas. Cobwebs were present at every corner. At some parts the floor was coated with a visible layer of dust, which swirled around when agitated.

Along the corridor were several metal doors. I tried to turn some of the rusted knobs and found out that most were just storage spaces for unused items and furniture. A few of the doors were locked. One of these doors stood ajar. Assuming it was the boiler room, I cautiously made my way towards it, mindful of trip wires and such. Yes, it was paranoid, but better be safe than sorry.

My guess turned out to be quite accurate, as on that door, was a lopsided sign with the words "BOILER ROOM" barely visible on it.

I took a peek inside. It was the same as when I saw it last week. As I stood in the doorway, I scrutinized it anyway. The room, which was at least two hundred and fifty feet in length and width, was illuminated by the sunlight penetrating the clouded, dusty windows high on the north wall. You could just have a glimpse of the bushes around the school, for the windows were on ground level. There were large boxes conveniently stacked in a line, with some allowance between it and the wall, forming some sort of fort. They were stacked three feet upwards, and seventy feet across.

Then there was the big heater at the corner. It was slightly rusted and looked rather neglected, as its services were not needed, due the weather.

I raised my gun and pointed towards the rows of boxes, while slowly trailed my way towards the back of them, all the while making sure my back was against the wall. My heartbeat shot up, then calmed down, when there was no-one behind them. Why should there, it was an hour before the arranged meeting. I slitted one of the cardboard boxes with my knife. They contained stacks and stacks of books. New books. Hm. Maybe they ordered them and never come around to use them.

After sliding my knife back into my sneakers, I proceeded to drag boxes from both ends towards the middle area of the space between the boxes and walls, so that the boxes now formed a "T" shape. It was tough work, but after ten minutes or so, it was completed. I slid down the Newly formed "L" shaped corner, feeling satisfied. Now, I would be protected by both sides.

I drew my knees closer to my body, and rested my arms on them, gun never leaving my hand. I looked up towards the grime coated glass windows. They were at a reachable height. One would only have to get on top of the boxes and they would be one leap away from escape.