Chapter 4

I stoned, mentally whacking myself. Move! Say something!

I slowly stood up, unwillingly taking my eyes off Jorgen and instead looking at Mr Brooke, who was watching me with his eyebrows raised, waiting for me to introduce myself.

I cleared my throat. "Hi. I'm Amelia Perrera. I enjoy reading and watching tv." There. That sounded normal enough. "And I like playing the guitar," I added with an afterthought. Well, I vaguely remembered plucking the strings of a guitar sometime in my life, and thought it was fun; so I wasn't exactly lying. Adequately satisfied with my answer, I looked towards Mr Brooke in askance and sat down promptly when he nodded.

I could feel Jorgen's gaze boring holes into me, but I kept my cool and concentrated on whoever was introducing themselves, giving up on writing any information, reason being I did not wanting to look like some nerd taking notes on what people like to eat or what they did last summer.

Let's just say that some students gave way too much information.

Most of our English lesson was spent with the introductions. Mr Brooke used the remaining time giving us feedback (can you believe it?) on what we said, how to project our voices, make our "speech" more captivating, blah blah blah.

Finally, the bell saved us and we packed up to go for our subsequent lessons. Some students were already out the door. I slung my bag over my right shoulder and made my way towards the front left of the corner, weaving through the desks, towards my fallen pen from my earlier antic.

After retrieving it, I exited through the front door, examining to see if the pen was broken, and was startled when I almost smacked my face into some dude's chest.

"Sorry. I didn't see..." Bowing my head in apology, then looking up to see someone smirking at me. A someone with bright violet eyes.

"Hey I told you not to rush, hot stuff," Jorgen teased me, as he leant against the doorframe, like some kind of supermodel posing for a magazine. I gagged, and had to stop a laugh afterwards when Jorgen exaggerated a double take and forced an offended look on his face.

I caught sight of other female high schoolers giving him dreamy looks and some even batted their eyelashes and flip their hair. I couldn't hold my laughter in and eventually let slip a strangled sound that alternated between a cough and a laugh, ending up half-choking. They looked ridiculous! Even the guys were reacting to Jorgen's looks. They tightened their hold on their girlfriend's waist and threw dirty looks at his direction.

Jorgen was looking at me amusedly with one eyebrow raised. "You do know the effect you have on people, right?" I asked. He just shrugged and said casually "Hey, you get used to it after a few years. But you never grow immune to your looks yourself even after hours in front of the mirror. Well, it goes for me at least."

I guffawed. Jorgen was so egoistic it was funny. He said it all with a nonchalant expression, as if it was normal.

I caught myself laughing and a voice in my head screamed "What the hell are you doing?! You're fraternizing with the enemy for goodness sake! Stop it now before something bad happens!"

My laughter died down and my violet eyes met Jorgen's violet eyes, wondering if he knew that I was a Player, and one of us may end up killing the other.

"It doesn't work on you," he told me, and I stared back in confusion. "My looks don't seem to have an effect on you," he explained. "Many people I meet will either suck up to me or give me death glares and flirty looks."

Oh so that's what he meant. Jorgen may be handsome and all, but I can honestly say that I am not attracted to him. Fortunately. Imagine if I fell for him. It'll be a Romeo and Juliet the second, combined with a mini World War.