The Truth Shall Set You Free

Selena's POV

     When we were about an hour away from our destination I decided I would write down some of my thoughts to help pass the time.

     Mom and I have been on the road al day. I’ve read a book, played a couple of games, listened to some music, and slept. We’ve still got about an hour. Mom won’t tell me exactly where we are going or what’s going on. I’m nervous about meeting my dad’s mother. I mean I’ve never known my dad and she’s never bothered coming around until now. How should I act? Maybe something stopped her. I’ll find out soon enough I guess.

     I stopped writing and folded the paper up. I hated my feelings left open, but I didn’t want anyone reading about them either. I ripped the paper up and threw it out the open window.

     “Honey, you really shouldn’t litter. It’s bad for the environment,” mom commented.

     “It was paper mom, nothing too serious,” I replied. Mom was somewhat of a nature freak I must admit. We recycled, planted flowers and trees. Everything that dealt with conserving or helping nature we helped. I didn’t mind it. Nature is valuable to everyone.

     “You could have recycled it.”

     “I know mom, but how do you know that grandma recycles. She hasn’t been around my whole life.”

      “Well actually she has been helping out a lot. You see when I met your father; his mother and I became close. She taught me the…value of recycling. She also sends me checks every year to help with you. She loves you dear, but due to some extreme circumstances she couldn’t come and visit, nor could we visit her, until now of course.”

    “Uh-huh. So she’s been helping out all this time?”

     “Yes sweetie she sure has. She loves you very much.”

     “We’ll I guess I could at least give her a chance, so how much longer until we get there?”

     “We have about five minutes until we reach her cottage.” I looked out the window in confusion.

     “Five minutes? How’s that? There’s nothing but woods, road, and more woods."

     “She likes to be far away from everyone. You’ll see when you meet her. She looks different, so people tend to treat her differently. She has a butler that takes care of her. He is short, so don’t make fun of him either. Got it?’

     “Yes mom. I won’t make fun of anyone. I promise.” I leaned my head back as we pulled into a hidden drive. To my surprise my nerves went away. I started to think about school, Eden, Eric, and Luke. I was actually wishing I could be back home, and for things to go back to normal. I missed normal. As we pulled up I saw the cottage. It was adorable. It wasn’t too fancy, but it did have beautiful flowers around it. Somehow they were all still in bloom and looked full of life. The actual cottage had a yellow hue to it, and a brown roof. The door was wooden with two tear drop windows in it. Mom stopped and we got out. I was about to grab my luggage when I saw a little man, about 4’ tall, reaching into the trunk and grabbing it. He had red hair, and when he looked at me I could see his green eyes. He gave me a small smile, showing his perfect teeth, and a nod of his head. Then he shut the trunk and went inside the house. Mom and I followed. When we got to the porch I was pulled into a hug. After the person le go she pulled back and studied me. I looked her over too. She had an unnatural hair color. It was long, about shoulder length, and orange. Her eyes were an aqua color, and her face held only a few wrinkles. She was pretty tall around 6’, and her body was slender. She wore a green dress that flowed down to her ankles. She looked like she couldn’t have been any older then 40, but I knew, in an instant, that this was my grandmother.