Chapter One

For helping me out so much with this story and encouraging me to write it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How peaceful this is, Elizabeth thought, as she lay in the grass at the edge of a pond hidden within her family’s estate. Feeling the cool ground beneath her stomach, chin resting upon the back side of her hand she dipped a dainty finger in and out of the water, watching as the ringlets she created grew from small, to large, to gone; not caring if she dirtied the new day dress she wore, Elizabeth wished for a life as free as the fish she saw coming and going as they pleased. But knew that would never happen.

This was her place; her sanctuary. It was where she would run to get away from the rules and restrictions she was expected to follow being a lady of society. No one ever came here. She sometimes wondered if she was the only one who knew about this place; well, aside from her best friend Camilla Wellington. They had been friends since early childhood. It was with her that Elizabeth discovered this pond.

One day when the two girls decided they weren’t going to attend one of their mothers many get togethers to discuss the latest “on-dit” going around the “tons” gossip mills. The two had slipped out the servant’s entrance and ran. They ran until their lungs burned, and they fell to the ground laughing about how mad their mothers would be when they noticed they were gone. That’s when the girls spotted something reflecting the suns light in the distance. Curiosity took over them and they chose to investigate. Upon finding the small body of water beneath the trees canopy, they decided that this would be their secret place, where they would come to get away.

Elizabeth came here often; no one could find her here. Except Camilla. Many days when Elizabeth would slip away, her mother would send for Camilla to go find her and bring her home, knowing she was the only one who knew where to look. Today was another one of those days. As Elizabeth dipped another finger in the cool water she heard her friend’s footsteps approaching…

“My mother has sent you after me again, I see.” Elizabeth said without turning around.

That she has Lizzy. She is most irritated with how long you’ve been gone this time. Tell me, what has you visiting our little oasis today?” Camilla asked as she sat down next to her friend, reclining on her arms.

“She has.” was all Elizabeth replied in an irritated tone.

“Oh, well that explains it all!” Camilla stated in a much sarcastic voice with a mischievous smile touching the corners of her mouth.

Elizabeth couldn’t help but to chuckle to herself. This dear friend of hers could always put a genuine smile on her face no matter what mood she was in.

She won’t stop going on about the upcoming season and how I am of a marriageable age. That I should be spending more of my time concerning myself with new gowns for the balls I’m to attend, the suitors I will have and the credentials I must look for in my future husband” she said with a hint of disgust.

Yes well that would make me run for the pond as well. I’m glad I still have a couple of years before it’s my turn on the marriage mart.”

 Elizabeth rolled her eyes at the few years left of freedom her friend had to enjoy.

 “But we really must get back, dinner will be served soon and your mother has invited me to stay. You know how I can’t turn down a meal from that amazing cook of yours. I swear one of these days I’m going to steal her away from you Lizzy.”