Chapter 3- Just A Kiss

Chapter 3

“Miss. Reed, Miss. Reed" I heard Mr. Archer's say. I snapped out of my web of thoughts and saw everyone in the class with their eyes on me.

"What?" I asked clearly not understanding why he had called me.

"Can you tell me what you got for number 3?" He asked with impatience clearly written all over him.

I look down at my paper and the only thing I have written down is ' Warm Up' at the top of the page. I let out a sigh and decide that I have too many things on my mind to care.

“I haven't gotten their yet." I responded.

He looked at me with disbelief and then said, "Out of 12 problems I assigned, you didn't get to number three?"

Laughter erupted in the room as many of my class mates found this amusing. Thankfully a girl that I don't know raised her hand and answered the question. I looked at her mouthing a ' Thank you'

She looked stunned at first with shock embedded in her features. She quick mouthed a 'Your Welcome' and turned to the teacher. For the rest of math I tried to actually pay attention to what Mr. Archer was saying. He was one of my favorite teachers because he always joked around and teased me but today he is very serious. His sudden mood did not clash well with my distracted one today. Jake's words kept replaying in my head as he spoke to me about my mate, Blake.

Mr. Archer checked the time and assigned us our homework. It was two minutes before the bell rung and many people began to put their things away. I grabbed my math notebook with my empty page and stuffed it into my backpack. The bell rang and people went dashing out before they lost their sanity from being here too long. I reached for my unused pencil but my finger had pushed it and it fell to the ground. I took a deep breath as I looked under the desk to where it had landed. Once I spotted it someone's hand reached and grabbed it for me. I looked up to see it was the same girl that had saved me from answering that question. I grabbed my backpack from the ground and stuffed my pencil in my front pocket before saying, "Thank you.." I paused to indicate what her name was.

"Tara, my name is Tara. Emily." she stated. I smiled and nodded my head as if I had known that, "Right, well thank you Tara for saving me back there." I said as we walked out of the class room together.

"No problem, anyone can see that he was just in a mood today." I laughed and agreed. Tara was very slim but had this nerdy look to her. Her long midnight black hair hung around her lower back in a ponytail. Her big brown eyes were covered with glasses on top of them.

"What class do you have next?" I asked her to fill the silence there was in the air between us.

"Mrs. Edwards, how about you?"

I was about to respond when someone pulled me to a stop with their hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw it was Nina.

"Hey, I was just going to find you." I said but she ignored what I had said and bluntly asked, "Why are you talking to her?" in a disgusted tone as she nodded towards Tara. I was shocked how mean she had said it.

"Nina!" I gasped. Nina was still giving Tara a dirty look as if silently asking her what she was still doing here.

"I think I better go." Tara whispered as she quickly turned around and left.

"I think that would be best." Nina said with bitterness oozing out of each word.

“That was really mean!" I scorned.