A blink of bliss

I get us to the hospital on time. Immediately rushing up to the nurse's office I gabble immediately - "We are the Aimes'. I think we are having our baby!" She looked at my wife and then started punching things in the computer. "Mr. Aimes, why don't you get your wife a wheelchair. This will just be a minute." I do as I'm asked and seat Mia on the chair. "Dr. Singh has been notified. He will be here in 5. I see you have requested a private room. Jason here will take you there." She points Jason to us and asks him to do the needful. Jason looks at me and gives me a sympathetic smile. "First time, huh?"
"Yep, how did you know?"
"You look very nervous"
I give him a smile. He looks very calm and young, too young. "Are you sure you can take care of my wife, Jason. You look too young!"
"Yes sir. I'm here just to look after your wife. Doctor and his nurse will be here during the child birth. So do not worry."
I apologize. Jason looked fresh out of college. I look at Mia now lying on her bed. She's staring at the opposite wall, thinking. Her eyes empty. She might be worried about the childbirth, I suppose.
Immediately a young well groomed female with a white lab coat makes her way in the room. I instantly recognize her. She's Dr. Singh. Her presence visibly relaxes Mia, and I relax looking at her.
"Hi Mia! How are we today? Did you just get in?" Looking at Mia's clothes. She hasn't changed yet.
"Yes. We just came in. I'm doing good. This one here is more excited than Santa on sugar high!"
Mia grins looking at me. Her brown hair very nicely set around her face. Her brown eyes filled with humor. Her eyes convey more than what she can ever convey with her words. No amount of panic or hustle can come in her way of looking perfect. She wakes up ready for a photoshoot.
I cannot help but smile looking at her. "I understand. First time is always filled with emotions. Mitchell how about you get Mia some ice chips until she changes and I check her up."
"Sure". I smile and leave the room.

On my way back from the ice machine, I remember I've not yet informed Eugene. I get my cell out and immediately call him.
" Hey bro! Wassup? ", his voice blares through my speaker. I immediately switch to handset mode and set the phone to my ear.
"Eugene. Are you free? I've to tell you something"
"Sure! Just gimme a minute..."
I hear him mumbling to someone. "Baby, papa needs to go out for a minute. Important phone call from work."
I hear some shuffling and he's immediately back on the phone.
"Yes tell me!"
"Hey you didn't have to ditch anyone for me! All I wanted to let you know, Mia is in labor"
"You goooooo brother! Congratulations!!
"