Chapter 24

Maybe it was the timing, what with my whole world being turned upside-down like it had. Maybe my fight-or-flight instincts were getting the better of me, and this was the first opportunity for 'fight' that had come my way. Maybe it was the mounting frustration associated with how seemingly little control I currently had over my situation all of a sudden.

But honestly, I have a feeling it was the smug, slightly amused expression on GQ's face that really got to me just then.

In one quick motion my gun was in firing position, aimed directly at the bridge of his nose. It wasn't exactly the brightest move, seeing as how I was standing near the front windows and could probably be seen from the street, but that particular thought didn't seem all that important just then.

"You've been warned once already," I snarled, stalking towards him. "Your balls must be bigger than your brains. Say, that's a curious thought. You have exactly one sentence to convince me not to open up the back of your skull and verify my newest theory regarding how much grey matter you have in there."

Still slouching in place, he regarded me calmly and raised a single eyebrow.

"Come on, Joe . . . I know how much of an asshole I must have seemed before, but you-"

"Sounds like someone was about to waste their sentence," I interrupted, adjusting the grip on my pistol. "Why don't you start over, try that again?"

Glenn frowned. "Really? Alright . . . so how do I do this? Do I just tell you when my sentence is about to start? Do you want something spontaneous, or do I get a few minutes to compose something really, really good? You know, maybe grab a pen and paper, so I can put together something that'll impress you, or-"

"You know, I'm beginning to form the distinct impression that you'd rather talk than live. And the funny thing is that you actually believe that the persistent sound of your voice is helping matters for you." I took a few steps towards the table, still leveling the gun at his face. "Last chance, dipshit. You either give me a damn good reason why you're here, or you think up some really good last words and say those instead."

The smug expression quickly fled, and his eyes flashed angrily. Then a moment later his expression softened slightly and became more serious. He raised his hands up disarmingly, palms forward.

"I wanted to apologize for what happened before, and was hoping to find a way to make it up to you, or at least attempt to make you slightly less murderous," he said, gesturing with his head to indicate a colorful paper bag on the floor to his right.

My eyes flicked over to it briefly, then back to Glenn. He didn't appear tempted to say anything more, but was instead patiently waiting for me to speak.

He'd actually sounded the slightest bit apologetic and contrite. Was he bringing me a peace offering, or something along those lines?

Edging closer to the table he was seated at, gun still aimed at his head, I glanced down and inspected the interior of the bag. An expensive-looking cardboard cylinder with a foil top rested inside of it . . . likely booze of some sort.

I took a short breath before speaking.

"If you're here to discuss that job we were talking about before-" I began.

"It's yours," he said, waving a dismissive gesture with one of his upraised hands. "I had no idea what I was stepping into, obviously, or exactly who I was crossing the other day. I mean-" Glenn's words broke off with an amused chuckle. "I called you an amateur! Christ, I'm surprised I left with as little damage as I did!" He adjusted how he was sitting in his chair, wincing slightly as he did, likely due to some lingering tenderness in his kidney region. "No, the job is yours. In fact, another reason I came by was to share a bit of intel, have a friendly chat, see if I couldn't smooth things over with you a bit, given the sort of first impression I probably made."