Epilogue

Its been two weeks since I was freed from the grimy clutches of Mr.Buchcowski.

We are back now, back in my old home. Almost if the last year was all just a nightmare. One that went on and on.

But I could never just write it off as one.

For one, I still had the strange unnatural—but at the same time innate—power to change into a horse and bird at will alone.

For another, people from the news were regularly visiting my house to gain information of my time in the lab. Theses interviews were nerve-wracking. I was always deadly afraid that I would say something that would only bring harm to me and my half sister.

No one knew about theses changes in us, except certain people, and that’s how I planned to keep it.

But I wasn’t only nervous about me saying something, I was deadly afraid that Mr. Buchcowski would say something.

My Mom wrote off my fears saying that no matter what Mr. Buchcowskisaid, no one would believe him, and anyway he hasn’t said anything yet so most likely he would never say anything. But I wasn’t so sure…

I had seen his face, he didn’t look like he was just going to give us up without a fight. It set shivers of fear racing down my spine to just think of such a probability.

I still had nightmares of him coming back; which I woke from in a cold sweat.

But the biggest change of all was that Bonnie now lived with me. Bonnie had survived the sickness. Neither Dr. Niki nor Dr. Brown ever found out the cause.

Apparently my Mom and Mili had become great friends when they had joined forces to look for us, and so my Mom had offered Mili to come and live with us in our home, since we had a spare room.

After much pleading, mostly on my part, she had grudgingly conceded. Though she muttered under her breath about how she would just add another weight on our lives.

Her mutterings were for nothing, because she proved to be much more useful than she could ever come to realize. She worked hard at the job she was currently holding, and she made my Mom happy; something that was didn’t happen much when it was just her and I.

With Mili and Bonnie here our family felt whole.

To my surprise, Bonnie had forgiven Niki much more readily than me. I thought that she would have a much harder time at it, since she was so closed off, and angry. But much had changed in her. I think most of that change had to do with her mother being there. No longer was she the fuming little girl that I had come to know so well.

She was much happier. Smiling and laughing with seeming no effort at all. It was almost impossible to believe she was the same person that I had meet in that cage so long ago.

I was still not totally reconciled with Niki, though I was getting there. I just found it really hard to trust in anyone anymore after all I’ve been through.

Bonnie spent the days mostly in bed. She was weak from her illness and malnourishment. When she did get up, she would tire rapidly. I missed the times we used to have. The times when there was no one but the two of us.

But even as I missed them, I knew I did not wish those times back. I never wanted to live with that fear, casting shadows over us, again.

I had spoken to Delmise, but that friendship had been strained after a year of hardships and the changes I‘ve been through; things she would never be able to understand. Secretes that I was afraid to trust even her with.

Next week I would be starting school again, but not in my old school. Mom didn’t want the kids in my old class to be tempted to say anything, she believed that if I stayed out of their sights I would also stay out of their heads. I wasn’t as optimistic. I was sure they would remember either way—especially since I was constantly appearing on television.

I was being held back, since I had missed one whole year of studies.

The thought of school brought with it a strange mix of feelings.

In one way I was nervous, about classes and teachers and friends. All the things normal people felt. But at the same time I felt disconnected from that. Like those feeling were not mine to have. Almost as if everything we had been through made school pointless in my mind.

How could school ready me for my life? When I was like none of the others? It certainly had not readied me for the experience last year. I think nothing could have readied me for it.

But if I was worried about these things, Bonnie was only feeling much worse. Even though she was much more cheerful around our family. She was deadly afraid of strangers.

I was scared for her, wondering how she would be able to live through going to school. And I wouldn’t even be near her in order to help her ease into it…

She refused to be interviewed by the people coming from the news, locking herself in our room. So that left me to answer all the questions they bombarded me with.

Even though I was terrified of saying something that I would regret, I was relieved that Bonnie did not have to suffer with me.

My Mom told me that I only had to bear this for a while longer. They would tire of us eventually, especially since I was claiming that I didn’t remember much of what happened.

But I did remember. And soon after Niki had taken Bonnie and Mili over to her clinic, I had told my Mother the whole story.

It was hard seeing my story being relived in my Mom’s eyes. She felt all the pain and suffering and terror, as if it were her own.

The cast on my arm was finally off, and on my free time—and whenever I just couldn’t stand the house and the reporters any longer—I took to flying off to visit the big oak in the park. It was peaceful here. And I felt safe in her sheltering branches. The wind shifting her jade leaves, making them dance.

Sometimes I would think about things, about the future about the hardships that were sure to come. But generally I found this too hard, and instead just watched the people.

Walking, running, biking, playing, having a good laugh.

The End…

--------------------------------------

Thank you for reading my story. I hope you liked it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I especially would like to thank those who've read my story since it first came up on Wattpad--i know the waiting was killer. And thanks to those who helped me fix up my spelling and grammar mistakes (Still need more help in that department). 

I don't know if I'll write a second book yet... But maybe I will someday. Just need to think of whats going to happen in the story so that I can begin writing. 

Ok well that's all I've got to say. Thanks again :P