Changing

The headache started during math.

            God, why now…

            I lay my head down on my desk and breathed in shallowly, cringing at the pounding dizziness going on inside my head. I tried to ignore the nausea by focusing on what the teacher was explaining…unsuccessfully.

            These scalding headaches have been increasing over the week. Moreover, they were not only increasing in amount but also in pain. It was all I could do, not to groan aloud and give myself away. I kneaded my head with the palm of my hand, trying to push the pain away with no immediate success.  

            Maybe I am sick—but wouldn't I have gotten better by now if that were the case? These headaches should be going away not increasing in potency. 

            Maybe if I were able to go home I could use these headaches to my advantage. I deliberated.

But this was impossible. My mom worked too far away to pick me up and take me home without losing the whole day at work, and I couldn’t just walk home from school, as I would have liked, because they did not let you leave during school hours without a parent. 

I guess I can survive one more day… I flinched at the thought.

            "Line up," Called Miss. Peach, pulling me out of my reverie. 

            No! I missed the whole lecture…now how am I going pass math. I thought broodingly. 

            I staggered from my chair and went to join my classmates. 

            The malignant ruthless pain would not let up and became more and more severe with each step I took. 

            I was so convoluted in my own ache that I didn't realize that Delmis was in front of me until she started talking.

            "Hey Tay," she whispered, "Are you ok?" her face furrowed in concern.

            "Don't worry, I'm fine," I said gruffly.

            She scrutinized my face and her frown intensified, but before she could say anything, the teacher yelled out for her to be quiet. She quickly turned around to face the front. Some of the kids giggled. 

            The line started forward then and I proceeded after them warily. We were going to the bathrooms. Miss. Peach always took us to the bathrooms before dismissing us to lunch. We would all get a turn to go. However, because I was at the end of the line I would have to wait the longest for my turn. 

            When I finally got to the restroom, Delmis was waiting for me. 

            "Do you want me to wait for you?" she asked tentatively.

            The swirling in my head was escalating and my stomach was now being affected, I did not want her to be here if I was going to be sick. 

            "No, I'll be fine; you go ahead and get lunch, I'll catch up to you later." I waved her away. 

            She looked troubled but she nodded once and then turned around and left, letting the door shut softly behind her. 

            I trudged to the mirror in front of one of the many sinks, on the southern wall. I looked hideous, my skin had taken on a pallid green color, and my hair had gotten free from my ponytail and was sticking to my sweaty face. 

            My head was throbbing. I rubbed my head trying to pacify the lavishing pain. 

            I turned on the faucet,  and closed my eyes while I splashed some water onto my face and tried to breath evenly.