Scarlet Curse: Chapter 3: Heartfelt Choices

After that night, Elomnik was nowhere to be found and I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling miserable and hopeless. What was I to do now, I had no clue how to use my powers, and I barely knew the basics of being a vampire. Elomnik was experienced, he was powerful, and he had a plan. He knew what he wanted. I didn’t.

There was a clear difference between us two and this made it clear to me that there was no possible way I could beat him on my own. The obvious choice to make in this situation was to give up. I didn’t want to but I had no choice. Following in Elomnik’s footsteps, that’s what I was going to do from now on, because as long as I’m alive, he will be too, and as long as he is alive, I will be too. He was the only one I had left in the world.

I got out of bed with my decision set. The hardwood floor was cold against my bare feet; I looked around the room at all the stuff I had. Not much, I grabbed an empty box and started throwing stuff in it; I wasn’t going to need to stay here any longer. As I cleared out my room, I went to my closet and put all my clothes in a separate box and then started pulling down some stuff off from the shelf in my closet and slipped, pulling everything down on top of me and making a mess. I sat up and rubbed my head where something hard had hit; I looked in front of me and there it was, the birthday present Father had given me.

I picked it up and stared at it, slowly I brushed my hand across the top of it and some dust came off. It remained closed ever since the day my Father handed it to me. I pondered for a bit about it and decided it was time. I’m sure whatever was inside didn’t mean anything anymore now that everyone is gone. I hesitated as I touched the latch on the box that was keeping it closed. Slowly my hand moved, pulling it up. The lid of the box opened on its own after the latch was undone.

I reached in the box and pulled out a necklace. It was a shining blue, delicate yet strong. Was this what my Father wanted to give me? But why did I have to wait to have it. I unhooked the chain and went into the bathroom to put it on. That’s when I noticed it; it was the same color as my eyes. Maybe this necklace was made for me specially. I gently caressed the blue oval glass and then went back to my room where the box was. I was just about to close it when I saw something at the bottom, paper. I reached in and took it out, unfolding it. It was my Father’s handwriting.

Dear Scarlet,

I’m sure by the time you are reading this, I am no longer around, no, not just me, but no one is around any longer. You probably feel alone and lost but I want you to know that you aren’t; because we will all always be with you, right in your heart, in your soul, and in your mind.

My eyes started to water as I was once again listening to my Father’s words. Words that came from his heart, meant for me and only me. That’s right; I wasn’t alone, not as long as I remembered them, all of them.  I wiped my eyes and continued reading.

Scarlet, darling, I know that at this point in time I must be missing you, wishing to hold you and watch you grow into a beautiful woman like your mother. But I know that is a silly dream right now because you have a choice you have to make in the future. This is what my birthday present to you is all about. Scarlet you have a chance to see us again but of course not everything will be happy and well. Let me explain to you the details.

Inside this box will be a pendant, this pendant is yours and yours only, you must keep it safe. Ever since you were born, I knew a day like this would come, where everyone would be gone and you would be wandering alone. I don’t know who the real enemy is; I just know that somehow they will win, wherever they are I can feel their desire and hatred and it is much too strong for us to withstand.

As I said before, you have a chance to see us again, to laugh with us and be a family once and for all. But this is your choice and your choice alone. Do not feel obligated to bring us back just for our sake. The pendant in here is the key to life and death itself. It has been passed down to all the pureblood princesses and never once has been used. Once it has been used it will be void of all its power and will remain as a simple necklace. I am not sure how to activate its power which is for you to figure out Scarlet but as I was saying, this pendant has the power to reverse the effects of this evil that has been done, and everyone who died from it will live once again, but there is a downside to this.

When I say that everyone will live once again, I mean everyone. Evil will be brought back into the world and battles will continue to wage. So my dear, you have a choice to make, do you want to bring us back to your world and have to face evil all around you, or will you create a new world and leave the past behind you?

Make your decision wisely and do not for one second feel obligated to us.

Scarlet, I love you so much and your mother, she too would be proud of you.

Everything was still, like time had stopped. I could bring them back? But what good would it do if it happened all over again? My throat started to hurt and I clenched my teeth, the paper crumbling in my hands, and soon tears started falling.

What do I do Father?