Chapter 18

It seemed like time was beyond limited. Everything was high speed . We were reaching the climax. Anthony for one seemed to be a nervous wreck

His light blue eyes were tinted with anticipation and what regrettably looked like fear.

"Anthony you're trembling." I whispered huskily as Carrie drove quickly towards the destination; I had no idea where it was. Anthony inhaled deeply. "Ellie. Whatever happens in the next hour or so. You have to keep an open mind. Don't over think it. And whatever happens I'm on your side." He suddenly says. I swallow deeply and keep his gaze. 'Dont over think it' he says?! Easy for him to say. "Is something going to happen to you?" I ask, nervously. I prayed to God no. He has been through so much already. "I-I'm not quite sure. But they warned me if I ever came back, they'd...." His voice trailed off and he just brought me into a tender embrace. "Just know I love you okay?" He muttered into my hair. "I love you too." I replied, truthfully. Every time he said that, butterflies suffocated me; swarming all inside of my stomach and fluttering their irritating way into my throat, getting me all choked up. My eyes felt a sudden stung irritably and I lunged forward. "What's wrong?" Anthony asked, alarmed. He turned so territorial at that moment, causing me to feel a surge of happiness , even though I was still slightly writhing in pain. "I just need my medication." I assured and rubbed my temple slowly. "Your eyes hurt, which is a good thing. It means your senses are slowly turning back on." He announces. Turning back on? Well that sounded educational. "I can't even fathom how I'm alive right now." I reply and Anthony's gaze is hard. "Please don't talk about that." He whispers, shaking his head. I sigh and nod my head, respecting his wishes.

Finally after more agonizing minutes of driving, we come to a sudden halt in front of a broken down shack. Carrie whips around, her voice rushed, "Anthony we need to do this now." She spoke quickly. Anthony nodded and turned to me. "You still have the gun right?" He asks me and I shake my head. "Good. If anything happens...shoot." He orders. "Wait. We aren't going in together?" I ask, my voice sounding needy.

"No. If we're together, there's a higher chance of us both getting injured. You're going to go with Carrie." He instructs and lifts me out the car. "Remember, shoot until you see the body drop." He reminds and strokes my hair. Just the thought of having to shoot another human being made me sick to my stomach. It was mentally nauseating. I nodded pressed my head up against him, of course since I was so short, I only reached up to his collar bone. "I love you Eleanor." He purrs softly and kisses my lips gently. I deepen the kiss, swirling my tongue with his and softly gasp into his mouth. "I love you too Anthony." I finally replied and watched as he slipped through the side door. I turned to Carrie who was smirking at me. "I know what you're thinking. Shut up." I groan and shove her arm. "Ms. Mupenda, you surely are a freak." Carrie said with as light cackle. I grimace at her amusingly and she sighs. "Ready?" She asks and I nod. "Trust your pretty boy. Everything's happening for a reason. My job is to keep you safe at all costs." She says strongly. "Why are you helping us?" I ask curiously. She was the niece of a killer. A murderer...wouldn't she be on his side? Such a contradiction. "I want to be better than what I was supposed to be. Plus it's completely and utterly fucked up what he did to you two. If that means seeing my uncle in jail or dead, than so be it. But I'm on your side." She finalizes and she tilts her head to the door. "You still have your tattoo exactly the way you had it right?" She suddenly asks. My heart plummets to the ground. "Uh...yeah about that." I stop and her eyes widen. "Oh fuck. Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck." She repeats and grabs my hand. "We have to get Anthony. Now!" She whispers harshly.

"What why, what's going on?" I ask, my mind racing. "Girl, this is some deep shit. You don't know what you've done." She says shaking her head in disbelief. "What are you talking about?" I whisper back as she leads me behind the building. "That tattoo that you got is a form of protection." She pauses and looks behind me, then swings the door open, it has a set of stairs leading down to the basement and another set of stairs going to the second floor. "I know that." I mumble as she harshly grabs my arm and leads me up the stairs. She's far more athletic than I am and I struggle to keep up with her as I stumble behind her. "No. This is what happened to Vince." She groans and she sneaks me into a room and sits me down in a chair. The room is dark and empty. It looks like an old office of some type. "Who the hell is Vince?" I ask. I was tired of things being kept from me. Everything was happening so fast I could barely keep up. I barely had time to process anything. "Jeremy's stepbrother." She said with a deep inhale. "What is he to Anthony?" I ask. Her expression was trying to coax me out of the entire conversation. But I certainly wasn't having it. She presses her lips together. "Fuck it. You're going to find out eventually. Anthony is Vince's step cousin. Or however that shit goes." She says nodding her head. I clench my jaw and flutter my eyes. "Step? Jeremy is his step brother so that means..." I pause and my brain processes what it all meant. What the actual fuck?! "So that means Jeremy and Anthony are cousins?" I mumble. Carrie pulls out a cigarette pack and hands me on, "You look like you're going to need this." She mutters but I decline. She inhales and lights herself one. "Explains why Jeremy is so buddy buddy with David huh? That's his dad."