[Chapter Seventeen]

Chapter 17

"How about this one?"

Stepping out of my en-suite, I smoothed out the bottom of the dress, biting my lip as I tried to gauge Emily's reaction.

It was New Year's Eve and Ryan had invited me out to an A-list nightclub that one of his friends owned.

To say I was nervous was an understatement. I'd never been one that enjoyed a night out all that often, let alone one that included the definite possibility of mingling amongst the higher class. The burning question of what to wear also posed a dilemma. I didn't want to stand out, but I also didn't want to be the only one not dressed to the nines. After asking Ryan about it, who'd been of no help, I'd gone to Emily for advice. Now, what felt like hours later, we were still in my room, going through all the dresses that the both of us owned.

Emily, who was sitting on my bed with a magazine in hand, looked up and smiled. "It's gorgeous Zoe, just like the last five you've tried on."

Turning towards the mirror I scrutinized the dress. It was form fitting, hugging all my curves, and stopped about mid thigh. The entirety of the dress was made of sequins, bar the sheer bits falling down the arms, and although it was a little flashy, I didn't think it looked all that bad. "You don't think it's a little..." I trailed, attempting and failing to bring the front of the dress up higher on my chest, "Risqué?"

"Trust me Zoe," she laughed, "No one is going to be complaining about a little bit of cleavage, especially not Ryan. Hell, I'd be impressed if he could keep his hands off of you at all in that dress."

My cheeks flushed a bright shade of crimson at what she was insinuating. "You think?"

Emily nodded, a smirk appearing on her lips. "Just be mindful that I don't want to see you guys stumbling through the door after midnight looking to tear each other's clothes off."

I didn't think that there was much she could say to make my blush any more prominent, but evidently there was, as I felt the heat from my cheeks trail down my neck. "Oh shut up," I mumbled, turning my back towards her in embarrassment as I mindlessly shuffled through some of my makeup.

"Hey, is that any way to thank the person taking care of your daughter tonight?"

Freezing in place for a moment, I slowly turned around, a sheepish smile on my face when I saw her eyebrow raised. "Have I said thank you for that yet?"

"Only about a hundred times."

"Really Emily, thank you," I repeated, my voice sincere as I smiled in appreciation.

When Ryan had asked me to go out tonight, I'd been very apprehensive about agreeing, as I knew that there was a slim chance that I would be able to find a babysitter for Abbie. However, when I brought the issue up with Emily, wondering if she knew anyone who could look after her other than Dustin's little sister, she surprised me by volunteering on the spot. I tried to object, not wanting to ruin her New Years plans, but she wasn't having it and was adamant that a night in with Dustin was all she needed for the night to be special.

A smile that mirrored mine appeared on her face as she waved me off. "Really, it's not a problem."

"I still feel bad..."

"Well don't," she cut me off. "Abbie will probably be asleep before you even leave tonight, so all you have to do is sit and wait until you're whisked off by your knight in shining armour to have a night that you'll never forget." Her eyes were twinkling with amusement as she continued, waving me back into my en-suite. "Now hurry up and get changed. You promised you were cooking dinner tonight, and it'd be a shame if anything happened to that dress before Ryan got to see you in it."