Chapter Fourteen

Two hours later, the sun had disappeared, and the only source of light was from the blazing fire and the few lights from the beach houses. Roman had been right when he said there weren't that many people that Alexia had known before. Besides Leigh and Theo, there were only two people who knew her: a guy named Milo that had grown up in the house next door to hers, and a girl named Alessa.

"I used to follow you and Leigh around all the time!" Alessa said. She was only fifteen years old and it made Alexia sad to think that this girl had died so young. One thing she had wanted to ask all the people who had known her back then was how they had died, but she didn't find it appropriate party talk.

About an hour after Leigh and her group showed up, several groups of people started flooding to the beach. Now that the sun was down, people were ready to party the night away. Leigh and Cheri were in the middle of a crowd of people who were all dancing to music playing from an old stereo. Ellie was chatting up Theo, Roman was talking to a guy he used to work with five years after Alexia had been sent into reincarnation, Demetri was in the house getting more alcohol for everybody, and Alexia was sitting by the fire watching the waves roll in and out, over and over again.

She hadn't consumed any more alcohol since the start of the night and was starting to feel a bit too sober to be having any fun. Her mind was wandering off to the real reason they were in Greece, which was to find her father and to figure out what it was about her that was special. She was in the middle of thinking about sneaking back off to the house to sleep when a bottle of vodka was thrust in front of her face.

"You're being lame." Demetri sat in the lawn chair next to her. She took the bottle from him and took a big gulp. It burned on the way down, but it was a good burn.

"I'm just thinking..."

"I know what you're thinking." He cut her off. "So stop thinking it. We can figure out all that stuff tomorrow. In the meantime, you have two best friends," he pointed at Cheri and then Ellie, "from this lifetime, and a best friend from over three centuries ago," he pointed at Leigh, "that would probably love if you would get up and dance with them."

She took another drink of vodka and looked at Demetri to defend her reasoning for sitting out of the fun, but before she could say anything, he put a finger to her lips and said, "Or, you can take a walk with me and that bottle down the beach."

She stared into his green eyes. It made her feel like she was normal again, like she was still that high school girl that was blown away by a gorgeous guy. She stood up and grabbed her wrap that was hanging on the back of her chair and wrapped it around herself. Now that the sun was down it was a bit too cold to be wearing just a bathing suit.

"Let's go, then." She began walking away from the party, down to the water. She walked just far enough for her toes to get a little wet by every wave that washed onto the shore. At first, they walked in silence, passing the bottle of vodka every few minutes. The sounds of the party were growing quieter and quieter, and soon they wouldn't hear it at all, nor would they be able to see it.

"So why did you have this party, Demetri?"

"Like Roman said, it was a good way for us to talk to people and find out where your father is."

"I don't buy it. Tell me the real reason." She stopped walking and turned to face him. Even though it was dark, his eyes still stood out, as green as ever.

Demetri sighed, giving in to her demand. "I figured if you saw some of the people that were once a big part of your life, it might jog your memory a bit. There is a possibility that you know what special defense you have, but you just don't remember it. The relationship you had with Leigh was exactly like your relationship with Cheri and Ellie. I thought maybe seeing her and talking to her might bring back some memories. If you knew that you were somehow special, you would have told Leigh."