Chapter 10

"Scarlett."

       She raised her brows and smiled at me. "Mmh?"

       "You're crazy."

       She laughed, and leaned her head back. Flipping her hair out of her face, she placed her hand underneath her chin. "I think you mean crazy genius."

       "Try just crazy." I rolled my eyes at her. "What in the world are you thinking Scarlett? Get Areum and Aaiden together? I thought you hated Areum?" Perhaps... I was wrong? Perhaps hating Areum was another one of her lies? I mean she did pretend to like Aaiden for a year no less, maybe this is another—

       "—No. I still hate her."

       I stared at her. Okay, scratch that. She wasn't lying. She didn't even blink.

       "Then why?" I asked. "Why do you want me to get them together?"

       "Because." She swung herself off the sink, and landed on her feet. "Aaiden only likes her based on her personality when she was younger. If he knew the type of person she is now, there's no way his feelings for her would be the same," she said as her gaze hardened. I looked down at her hands to see them in tight fists. What in the world happened when they were younger? "The only way for him to see that is if he dates her," she continued. "She's not going to show her true personality to just anyone."

       "Okay, but that doesn't explain why I," I said pointing to myself, "need to get them together."

       She pursed her lips together, and crossed her arms across her chest. "Do you really think Aaiden would willingly talk to her without you pushing him first?"

       "Well no...but it's not like he'll listen to me either. Why don't you get them together?" I suggested. "You're close friends with him, right? Wouldn't he listen to you?"

       "Ah." She waved her finger at me and made a tsk sound with her teeth. "See that's where you're wrong, Aubrey. Did you forget? You won the auction. Aaiden has to listen to you."

       Aaiden has to listen to me? More like Aaiden shouldn't listen to me. Forcing someone to do something against their will, isn't right. It's immoral.

       "I can't. This."—I motioned my hand in front of me—"Isn't right."

       "What isn't right?" she asked. "It's not like I'm asking you to commit a crime or something ridiculous like that. In the long run, you'll be helping Aaiden, right? And it's not like you're forcing Areum to like Aaiden," she added quickly, before I could answer her. "You're just going to create some opportunities for them to . . ." She paused as she tapped her finger against her chin, ". . . talk."

       "Talk?"

       She grinned. "Talk."

       "And you really think this plan of yours is going to work?" I asked. "What if Areum isn't who you think she is? What if Areum and Aaiden really get together and stay together?"

       "That's not going to happen."

       She sounded so confident with her answer that she almost had me fool. But, as I stared at her longer, I saw her gaze shifting towards the ground, breaking our eye contact.

       "Are you sure about that?" I questioned, as I lifted my brow. "Scarlett, you can't exactly control people's feelings, you know. One tiny mistake can change everything."

       The corners of her lips curled up. "That's exactly what I'm hoping for."

       "Hoping for what?"