Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A week after the first day of school, everyone was settled in. I got all of the materials I needed and new clothes, thanks to Katja. I still couldn’t shake the image of that guy out of my head. It’s probably never going to go away. Not only did he look like the beast, but he was strikingly beautiful in a scary way. I would describe him as the guy of my dreams, this time it’s the ‘he’s perfect’ kind of way.

He had beautiful blond ,straight, and long hair, electric blue eyes, a strong jaw, tall, lean , and he even had a couple of black streaks in his hair.

It’s better if I try to take him out of my head. He probably lived in some other town or else I would’ve seen him by now.

The worst part of it all was that after an hour of searching for Katja, she had actually gone home because she had to go back and baby-sit. Way to fill me in and ditch me. I got over it, though.

“Today class we will be starting a new unit of reading. You will have to read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin and be paired with someone too!”

Fabulous. Our first assignment with partners, this outta be good.

The class moaned. I couldn’t blame them. Our class wasn’t filled with the smartest people. Most of the jocks and cheerleaders were here. Only four intelligent people were here, I would count myself as one of them, not that I’m bragging or anything.

Mrs. Jones started calling out who would be partnered with whom.

“…Jenny and Greg…Haven, you will be with Blake.”

Blake? Who was Blake?

I turned around, looking for any Blake’s in the class.

No, not him. That’s not his name. My eyes scanned the classroom. Nada.

“Hmm, Mrs. Jones, is there a Blake in this class?”

She checked over her list. I wouldn’t put it past her if she invented a new name. At seventy-seven years of age, Mrs. Jones was starting to get a little bit loony, not that she was insane or anything… well sometimes.

“Yes, he sits all the way at the back, sweetheart. Blake please raise your hand.”

Huh, I guess I hadn’t noticed him. He does look kind of familiar. Wait… blond hair with black streaks?

No way. It’s him! How could he have been here and I didn’t notice?

I’ve just got to say one thing… this stinks.

The bell for lunch rang. Katja was meeting me by the courtyard doors. It’s better to eat outside, instead of the over crowded lunch hall.

“Hey, I spotted some empty seats,” Katja said when I got there.

“Cool, let’s go before someone else takes them.”

The day was fresh. Perfect weather for walking and eating. Good thing we had an hour and a half lunch to spend out here. The silence was welcoming, until Katja started talking, as always.

“Okay, so far my classes are horrible. My teachers are no fun, I’m stuck sitting with McFartikins, and they have us a bus load of homework. I wish summer hadn’t ended,” Katja complained.

“Just try to ignore Kyle, calling him names isn’t nice even though it’s true, and do what I do; finish some of your homework during study hall and lunch. Then, you won’t have to get stressed or complain.”

“But I can’t,” she said with a pout “, those periods will be my only free time from babysitting.”

“Why do you baby-sit so much?”

“Trying to save up for a car, duh.”

“Ha, you know, you should probably get a real job. Not the babysitting job. It doesn’t pay as well.”

We took a bite of our lunch and sat, thinking.

“You wouldn’t believe the amount of money they pay me to baby-sit,” she told me through mouthfuls “, it’s like these people are multimillionaires and don’t want to take care of their own children. They should hire a nanny, but I’m just saying. I like my job, although the kids can sometimes get on my nerves that I want to put duck tape over their mouths.”

That just made my whole day better.