chapter thirty six

Shifting in the wind sent a chill across the packing lot. Catching the reflection of the stars in a puddle on the asphalt, Tibitha titled her head. Dim lit sky looked down upon her. Her feet stopped just before the walkway to the hospital. A cloudless sky. The temperature was off, everyone had noticed this. Including her son and the wolves. By now the ground would be covered in a nice layer of snow. The temperature would be hanging around the freezing mark. The days were that of a warm autumn.

Closing her eyes for a moment, Tibitha inhaled a deep breath. She wasn’t for sure if she was ready to take on the task of seeing Kagen in the hospital. He wasn’t allowed to be injured, let alone die on her. He was all that was left. Tatom was now fully committed to the pack and Langdon. He will not becoming back, maybe for a visit. If the council will let him.

Shaking her head, she proceed towards the door of the hospital. No time like the present to get this done and over with. The faster she can see what Kagen looked like, the faster she can help him heal. Kagen will need someone to help him wash, cook food for him. Gather up anything that he needs. She was the mom to do it.

“I’m here to see Kagen Valitore.”

The nurse behind the desk typed the name in the computer. Noticing the woman’s ring, she wore a Celtic Trinity symbol. Studying the silver ring on her finger more, the solid lines were wavering with a mist like visibility. Leaning in, she listened to the silent air around them. The hairs on her arms began to rise.

“Excuse me,” the nurse snapped.

Tibitha jerked back. “Sorry, I was trying to see your ring. It’s very beautiful.”

“Oh, my mother gave it to me.” The nurse held it out.

All that was there before was gone. Smiling, Tibitha repeated her words to the nurse.

“Kagen in is room 305.”

“Thank you.”

“Visiting hours are almost over, so I would hurry if I was you.”

“Thank you,” Tibitha tightened her coat around her body.

Walking away she glanced back at the nurse as she rubbed her arms. Stuff like that only happens in a warning. Just what was the warning. Running the thoughts through her mind, she began repeating what the Trinity symbol was regards as protection.

As the elevator doors closed, she wiped her forehead. The hairs on her arms still have not return to their natural state. Thoughts like Father, Son, Holy Ghost began to appear in her mind. Past, Present and Future. Creator, Destroyer, Sustainer. Creation, Preservation, Destruction.

The ding of the elevator door caused her to jump in fright. Her eyes scanned the hallway from the safety of the little surroundings. Just as the doors began to close, she threw out her arm to stop them. Stepping out, she looked up and down the hallway. Her arm hair was standing on end as it was. A chill ran up her spine.

‘This isn’t right.’ Tibitha scanned the floor as she walked down the hallway. ‘Something is seriously wrong.’

Finding the number plate that read 305. She held her breath for a moment then laid her hand on the door. ‘He has to be okay.’ Tibitha sucked up the tears before entering the room.

The lights were dim. The curtain was pulled to hide him. Her hands tightened around her coat as her feet carried her slowly towards the bed. Pulling back the curtain, Tibitha’s eyes widened at the sight. The lower half of his body was covered in a sheet. White gauze covered his whole chest and stomach. Followed by his leg propped up with a pillow tucked under it. Examining the toes that peeked out, his big toe was black and blue. Forcing her eyes passed all the bandages to his face. Kagen’s nasty multi-colored eyed was swollen. A cut down the side of his face, his bottom lip was blue.