Book 3⌇1. The Ranger

Chapter 1 ∣ The Ranger

-Orion 

"The coven leaders, Julien, Remy, and Ronan have been killed," Enock's voice carries out to me as I stand with my back to him, staring out at the underground city.

"What of the one that got away from you?" I narrow my eyes, watching the training that is taking place between a group of hunters. Their rite of passage will take place in less than a week and from the looks of them, I calculate only two will pass.

Enock remains silent for a moment before stating, "Her name, is Evicka or Evie as her companions call her. She is the daughter of Locaine."

My eyes widen for a moment before returning to normal, "Is that so?"

"She was the one individual that killed the entirety of the recognized coven leaders. The one who possesses blood magic," Enock adds hastily to his explanation.

A pureblood killing her own kind?

How can she possess blood magic? I attributed that of a hunter trait alone.

"Who is her mother?" I ask.

"No one knows," Enock replies flatly, much to my disappointment.

I release the grip I have on the windowsill, turning around and staring at my ranger, dressed in grays and browns with his hood pushed back to reveal his face.

"What of my grandfather?" I walk over to my desk, pulling the leather chair out and sitting down. He has eluded the world for some time now, but I grow tired of waiting.

I want him found.

Now.

"I still can't find him. It is as if he's fallen off the face of the Earth," Enock replies as I motion for him to take a seat in the empty chair facing me.

"How many purebloods are left?" I place the tips of my fingers together, leaning back in my chair.

Enock appears to be in deep thought before he replies, "After the planned attack in Moscow, Locaine, Evicka, Lucca, and ten others that are confirmed."

"Their bloodline is about to flicker out, forever," I state. I know if we can eliminate the purebloods, the remaining vampires will have no one to lead them, forcing them back into the shadows. I can care less about their need to feed...that is inevitable, however, I can't stand for the deaths of innocents. The purebloods are the ones who wanted power and control, If I eliminate them, there is a greater chance that our two worlds can coexist.

"What would you have me do?" Enock asks, pulling me from my thoughts.

"I want to speak to this, Evicka. If we cannot come terms, then I wouldn't mind killing the daughter of Locaine. After all, his brother ended both my parent's lives. It only seems just," I reply. I'm sincerely relieved that Enock had been stopped. He followed his orders and that was to kill all purebloods on sight. But, with the recent enlightenment of who Evicka is, she can prove more valuable alive...for the time being.

Enock rises to his feet, making his way to my office door before I stop him, "Enock?"

"Yes, Orion?" Enock regards me with respect.

"Remember, I want her alive," I reaffirm his orders.

Enock nods silently before asking, "And if we run into problems with her?"

"Sedate her," I reply, standing to my feet and turning back to the windowsill. I've been able to create a haven for hunters, taking them underground and out of sight from the vampires. Some did not want to leave their world behind, thus, their deaths were imminent, especially after Locaine had taken over the world.