Chapter Fourteen

You guys are going to hate me, I know you will.... 

My feet continued to lead me foreword, farther and deeper into the forest. Any wildlife that I brushed by silenced in the quake of my movement. I was powerful and able to control anything with a sense of fear to my whim. I was scared of all this power and embelishment that was concaved over my human life. It was overwhelming.

I wondered why I was running often. Where was I going? Why was I going there? What would I find if I ever stopped? These questions buzzed around in my brain almost like a river that continuously flowed in evey cell of my being. But I just wanted to build a dam and stop it all. 

When I stopped, I found myself in a field with a house right smack-dab in the middle.

It was old, almost crumbling apart with age. Wooden pillars out front that support an over-hanging, were missing chunks and bending slightly by the weight. My feet carry me foreword until I'm standing on the rotting porch. My hand swiftly connects with the moldy door. It falls off the hinges and crashed foreword to land on the ground with a soft crunch. I step inside. 

The musky smell of foreign wolf suffocated me along with the mold. "Hello?" My voice scratched like sandpaper over metal. The soft pad of my feet seemed to be the only sound as I continued foreword into the home.

"So you've finally come," a voice whispered in the shadows from behind me. I whipped around to face nothing but darkness. 

"Whos there?" I demanded, clutching my fingers into a fist. I wasn't gonna let anybody jump me like. Nada, not cool. 

"Oh, just little ole me." Something cackled at my left. I jumped, a shriek echoing from my mouth. 

I spun around wildly, looking for whoever was there. "Stop that!" I sputtered. 

The voice chuckled just feet infront of my face. "Stop what, Eve?"

"Gah!" I gasped and stumbled back to land on my butt. So much for Werewolf agiity. "Who are you?!" I cried, getting really angry now. 

"I am me."

"SHOW YOUR FACE!" I roared. 

My eyes finally caught the sight of movment as if someone was shaking a dying flashlight. I cought the soft footsteps two feet from the right and reached out to grab whoever it was, but my fingers flailed in thin air. "Your going to have to do better than that, Eve." The voice hissed. More footsteps but I stayed still. 

"Boo," Someone breathed into my face. 

I screamed and shoved whoever it was away from me. Strong hands lifted me from the ground and tossed me across the room. I waited for the hard impact of the wood, but I all I felt was more hands tossing me around. Laughter filled my head, angering me, and I started thrashing and screaming at whoever it was next to throw me. "Put me down!" I screamed once more and finally somebody stopped catching me and I fell to the ground in a piled heap. "Ow..." I hissed. My arms were flung infront of me to search the darkness. 

I took a step foreword and in response was a deep chuckle. "Where are you..." I growled menacingly. "Show yourself so I can rip you apart." 

Another chuckle and whisper of movement. 

"Eve, are you in here?" Eli's voice was desperate. My lips parted to give him an automatic answer. 

A hand smacked over my mouth. "Shh..." was the quiet whisper. I shivered against the body behind me. I heard Eli step onto the porch and into the cabin.

"I can smell you, Eve." Eli murmured huskily. I wanted to scream and tell him to run. Something bad was in here and I had a feeling they didn't like strangers. I whimpered into the hand.

"Eve?" Eli whispered again, more worried. I scraped my foot against the floor, hoping to notify him of my pressence. The urge to run was gone, I just wanted Eli safe. "Oh. Shit. Eve, if you are in here, run." 

I broke away from the hand and screamed his name. "ELI!" 

"Eve!" 

"Don't let him get to her!" Somebody cried. There was a bunch of rustiling and shouts as the man dragged me back, farther into the house.

I sobbed and fought as hard as I could against him. It was no use. Obviously, these people were raging werewolves or something. Or something. Yes! Of course! I flashed out with my nails and when I heard a hiss of pain, I kicked behind me and shoved the man away from me. These were werewolves, no doubt, old and strong ones too, but they couldn't fight back against me. 

"I lost her!" he shouted.

"Eli!" I cried, spinning around. 

I heard someone running in the house. "Outside!" I cried and ran for the door. 

Someone grabbed my hand and ran with me. I really hoped it was Eli. Outside, I flung myself into full driven force of running. I had to be fast. We had to be fast. "Eve," Eli gasped. "Hold up." He was in pain. I could tell. I stopped and turned around to look at him.

"What's wrong?" I demanded as Eli knelt down and held his side. "What happened?" I crouch down and touched his shoulders. 

"Annabel," He whispered.

"Eli?" 

His breathing hiked up and suddenly, Eli looked at me with pure hatred. "Damn you," he growled. "Damn you, Annabel. How could you leave me? I loved you!" Eli's eyes were dilated. 

I shook his shoulders. "Eli! Snap out of it. C'mon. We have to keep going."

Eli winced in pain, looking away. "No. I can't keep...running...too much pain..." He toppled over.

I screamed and fell over him. "Eli, Eli what's happening?" I grabbed his face and forced him to look at me. His eyes were rolled back into his head and his body was shaking. No. This...this couldn't happen. "Eli...please, don't die. I need you. Don't die." Tears were spilling down my face, dripping off my chin and falling into Eli's shirt. Damn it. They poisoned him. 

I couldn't do anything. I was frozen, watching the man I love slowly slip away. My heart started collapsing in my chest. I felt Eli's pulse beneathe my hands and it was feeble. ELi was dying and I could do nothing. "No, Eli. No." The shaking stopped. I watched his face nervously, waiting for no sign that he lived. His eyes flashed to mine.

"Run, Eve. Save yourself." 

"No!" I cried clutching his chest. "I wont leave you. We'll find a cure. I'll save you."

A tear fell from the corner of Eli's eye. "You can't. Not this time. Besides, you've already saved me. You saved me from myself."

"Eli...." I croaked.

"No," he rasped. "Listen. You've already saved me. My world was nothing without you. After I lost Annabel, I had no where else to go or reason to live." Eli's hand brushed my face. "You gave me a reason." His heart was barely audible. I coldn't understand how he kept pushing himself.

I clutched his shirt. " I love you. You can't die. Save your energy, we need to find help."

Eli shook his head. He was being unreasonable. "No, I can't go on. My legs are numb. One of those werewolves  poisoned me wih Hemlock. You know what Hemlock does to a body, right?"

I shook my head. Please, just hold on a little longer

"It kills the nervous system, first the feet, then the legs and so on. My lungs will fail me soon." I shook my head violently. He couldn't die. Not like this. Eli's arms weakly wrapped around my body. "I just want to feel you against me...one last...time..." 

The tears wouldn't stop. I started sobbing heavily. My throat chokes my sobs. His weak fingers ran through my hair as he comforted me. "I love you....so so much." His voice hummed quietly. "...love..." His hand stopped. His voice stopped. His everything stopped. 

I continued to sob into his shirt as I waited for the others to come for us.