Chapter 9: An End to My Religion

Dearest,

For several years after, I searched for the people as well as some the reasoning behind Blayne’s letters. I found nothing. I wasn’t very good at investigation at that time. To some extent, life and you got in the way and helped me move on. However, in all honesty, my obsession was never far from my mind.

Within those years, there was the move to London where I found a job teaching History at a popular university. I loved it. It has always been my passion and, since my first day on the job, my livelihood. Also, I started to date a bit and, with luck, ran into several very interesting and unique ladies—nothing too serious, however. I always feared that a “new mother” would disrupt our life style. You’re a lot like me in that way: you love your serenity.

I think it was a few days before my 28th birthday that I ran into a friend from my institution days who remembered my rendition of The Story and referenced me to a friend of his who had shared a similar experience. I can’t remember exactly what he told me, but it was enough to get me excited and rekindle a good deal of the anxiety from my past. A lot of this came out in my writing, which is why I am so apologetic in the entry I am about to show you. Also, as promised, I’ve highlighted the most illuminating tidbits and dropped the rest. Hopefully, you can still follow with relative ease.   

1-10

Friends,

I just read over my last entry into this journal, and I would like to apologize for my apparent paranoia. I have never been very good at expressing my feelings, and after reading over what I wrote the other day, I feel as if I may have come across as desperate, or perhaps even a little fanatical. I was having a pretty weird night, and I feel as if I took it out on you. At present, I am dealing with things that I don’t understand. I am having a hard time categorizing them in my mind. For as long as I can remember, I have sat in the background, written about, and allowed, my life to pass me by unchecked. This is why actually taking the time to figure out what I believe has not only been extremely rewarding but also a very nerve-wracking process for me.

As of yet, I have not been able to locate any of the people from those letters. However, in an attempt to do this, I have been spreading the word to my friends and colleagues in my field. I have been telling them The Story as if it is a popular myth and not something that I believe. This protects me from the accusations of insanity and so far has helped me get some very interesting results. The interview I am about to dictate to you is one of these results.

A couple weeks ago, I met an extremely fascinating individual named Jorge. He revealed to me an interesting part of his childhood, which I took the liberty of recording. After re-listening to what this individual had to say several times, I am excited to say that this interview might be a crucial part to The Story.

I will be writing down the highlights of this interview exactly as I hear them on tape. 

Please be patient. I am not a professional. Anyway, here we go, tell me what you think.

Interview

Me – Thank you so much for taking the time to do this with me, sir. (Pause) I know that your time is valuable, so if we may, I would please like to jump into this as quickly as possible. (I pause again.)

Jorge – Thank you, yes. It is very valuable . . . to me at any rate. (He laughs) Where would you like to start?

Me – Well, the first thing I would like is your name, your full name, please.

Jorge – My name is Jorge Alonso. I’m fifth generation.

Me – Excellent, thank you, sir. And where do you live at present?