Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The council stood in front of us, with twenty other vampires.

            "Annabel you have disobeyed us,” one of them said, “you have gone against our wishes and we will not tolerate that.”

            “Ana did not do this alone. I was involved to,” Lysander explained to the council.

            They didn’t even glance at him.

            “We have decided as to what punishment you shall receive… death.”

            The world stopped moving; everything froze. I was to die? Why? For helping the innocent? That is ridiculous. I never imagined I would die for doing a good deed, but that is how I would want to die.

            Someone yelled next to me. I didn’t notice what was going on. I slowly shifted my eyes to Lysander; he was being held back by ten vampires, fighting to get free.

            "You can not do this! I will not allow it. As head of the council, I order you to not lay a single hand on her,” Lysander yelled viciously, “if she is to die, I will too.”

            It took a moment for the council to respond.

            “You will do no such thing. We have decided to ignore your little mishappenings, but someone has to pay the consequences and it will be her. Take her way.”

            Six other vampires began pulling me back.

            “No wait!” I pleaded, “What will happen to the people?”

            “They will be sent back.”

            “You cannot do that. Please, I beg of you let them free. If you do so you can do anything to me. Torture me, starve me, anything, but please let them free,” I cried.

            They contemplated what I said. They turned around discussing what is to be done to the humans and me.

            “We will let them free, if you will not fight against us. You are to be burned at the stake and drained of you blood.”

            My life for theirs, it was something I was willing to give.

            I nodded at them.

            “So it is settled. You will be burned at sunrise. Until then take her to the cells.”

            Lysander fought harder to reach me. I just stared at him, letting myself be dragged away.

            “Ana! Ana! ANA!” he screamed as the doors closed.

                                                            ***

            They shoved me inside a dark prison. Water flooded the room, reaching up to my knees. Rats and insects crawled on the walls. A small window was at the top of the wall. The moon was the only light.

            I felt like…nothing. I had fulfilled my mission. I am happy yet sad at the cost. Someday I knew I would’ve been killed. Every vampire would be, but I hadn’t thought it would be so soon. There were things I wanted to see, feel, taste, but it won’t happen. The only thing I felt worse about was Lysander. He could be overthrown because of me. I’ve always caused him pain and trouble. From the day he turned me, I was a curse to him…

            Grunts and punches descended from the entrance.

            "Annabel! Annabel! Where are you? Ana!”

            I shook the cell bars, signaling I was here. There was a rustle in front of me; keys clinked against each other.

            “I give up on these keys,” someone said with a sigh.

            The bars shattered in front of me. Someone stepped over them, holding out their hand.

            “Who is it?”

            “Who do you think it is?” Lysander said sarcastically.

            "What are you doing here Lysander? You could get into a lot of trouble.”

            “Do you want live or die? Because if you want to live, we have got to go.”

            He grabbed my hand and took me out of the prison. The sun was about to rise in a matter of minutes, we had to get as far as we could.

            “I forgot you haven’t eaten. We’ll have to grab something along the way,” he said.

            “I will be fine. Let’s just focus on how we’ll be able to escape.”

            We passed the town limits. There were just open roads and flat country sides ahead of us. It felt great to be gone. I looked back, bidding my last good bye to those people, but was scared as to what I saw.