Chapter 4

Planes flew over head. Someone must’ve called for help. This is not what I had planned.

            “Ana, I think it best if we leave. We can not possibly kill all of them and free the people without getting them killed in the process.”

            “No we can’t leave them, not now…”

            What to do, what to do….

            “Meet me by the edge of the woods. I’m going to bring some people along, half of the men will go with you and the rest will be with me,” I planned.

            “Be careful,” he said.

            “You too.”

             I ran back to the long buildings. Breaking the front doors, I searched in rooms for people. Ten bunk beds were placed in each dorm. Men and children gathered along the windows. Terrified at all the bombs and fighting. An old man looked over at me, horror appeared in his eyes.

            "Please don’t kill us,” he pleaded.

I walked over to him, placing reassuring hands on his knee.

            “I’m here to help you. You will be free as of tonight.”

            I stood up and looked over the people. I knew deep down some weren’t going to last but they would at least die a free person.

            “Everyone, please, listen closely. As you can see there is bombing going on outside. I am going to be taking you out of here by small groups. Try to avoid any incoming fire, bombs, or bullets. Leave everything behind; you’ll be able to acquire new things later.

            “Half of you come with me. The rest go around the building, find more people and be ready by the doors. Let’s go.”

            I took five men and two children with me. Outside the ground was broken and covered with blood. Planes kept flying by and tanks made their way through the camp.

            “Wait here. If you see anyone coming, hide."

            I grabbed both children and sprinted to the forest. Lysander wasn’t back yet but he left the door to the secret shelter open. I dropped the children off inside.

            “Lock the doors after I leave. Two knocks means it’s me. There is food in the pantry take as much as you want.”

            I ran back to the camp where I left the men. They were hiding behind the stairwell, waiting for me,

            “Come,” I said,” I’ll be taking three with me. One of you will have to jump on my back and I’ll carry the other two.”

            They looked hesitant, unsure if a woman could carry them.

            “Do not worry. I am twenty times stronger and faster than I look. Come one, don’t be shy,” I told them with a smile.

            I crouched down so one of them could get on my back.

            “Hold on tight.”

            We got to the shelter in a second. Two knocks at the door and the children opened.

“Incase of anyone coming there are guns and other weapons in that wooden chest. Protect yourself and the children.’

            I looked over to the children, “show them where the food is.”

            I raced back and forth for twenty minutes. Half of the entire building was here. I started taking the other half to a different shelter. I quickened my pace. Tanks kept blowing the camp down. The rest of the vampires were probably done with the other buildings. There must have been a total of nine hundred people in there, nine hundred lives saved.

            I checked over the entire camp, making sure no one was left behind. I went to the place where Lysander told me to meet him.

            "Did you get everyone?” was the first thing I asked.

            “Yes, I took them all to the shelters, but we have a problem.”

            “What is it?” I questioned worriedly.

            “I haven’t been able to obtain enough cars for transportation. Even if I had I don’t think it would’ve been a good idea to use them. The German would come chasing after us. We should probably keep them here until they are gone.”

            “But what if the Nazis find us?”

            “We’ll have to protect them as much as we can,” he answered.

            “That’s no good,” I responded annoyed.

            "What else do you suppose we do, Annabel? There isn’t much.”

            I thought for a moment. An idea popped up, but it might end up killing us.

            “We should attack the tankers. After that we’ll use the tanks to extinguish the air planes. That way no one will be able to see us move.”

            “You will be the death of me,” he told me.

            I gave him my sincerest smile, “I probably will be. Let’s divide the group. I'll take the rest. Send someone over when you are done, and then we’ll start targeting the airplanes.

            He nodded. I started to sprint away when he grabbed my arm.

            “Annabel, be extremely careful. Remember what I said; not even vampires are invincible,” he whispered to me. Something haunted his eyes, but I didn’t have the time to figure it out.