Chapter 6: Bed bound

Pain. Numbness. Nothing. I squint my eyes as I tilt my head, struggling to look around. Everything is all blurry, and everyone is moving in slow motion. I see mouths moving, but I hear no sound. Frustrated, I try to call out. I open my mouth but no words come out, instead I gurgle up blood. Unfamiliar and unknown faces lift me up and place me on a stretcher. I flinch at their cold hands, as I'm rolled into a plain white room on the stretcher. I struggle to keep my eyes open, it's no good. Giving into the blackness, I fall into a deep sleep.

**********

I slowly open my eyes, blinking a couple times to clear the fuzziness. I can hear the beeping of the monitor, indicating my heart's steady beating pattern. Next to me lies a bouquet of flowers, along with chocolates. Kit Kat, my favorite. Looking around I realize I must be in the schools infirmary. Little white cots line the room’s walls in rows of two, covered with plain white sheets and matching pillows. I look around realizing I am not alone, some cots have other patients in them. Students, once again, all boys. I breathe a long deep breath. But it comes out jagged and pained. I wince. My mouth tastes icky, morning breath and the taste of something salty, like rusted copper..blood. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to remember how I got there. My memory fails me. I sit up; once again hearing the familiar clicking of my aunt's heals entering the room. Confusion and anger fills me. I open my mouth wanting to speak first, to yell, to scream, to express my frustration. But I'm cut off.

"You gave us quite a scare!" says Aunt Sophia. I try to sit up, but I'm overcome by a sharp pain in my stomach. I wince. "Bruised ribs I'm afraid." she says, smiling sympathetically. Sympathy is a weak emotion, I think to myself. I don't need her pity. I stare blankly back at her, and then something catches my eye. It's her pearl earrings. My eyes begin to widen in realization as I slowly begin to recall what happened.

"I was attacked." I say flatly. Aunt Sophia swallows nervously, as if attempting to think of a good explanation. This ought to be great, I think to myself.

"I really do apologize, this is all my fault. James assumed you were a threat. I hadn't had time to explain, and with the opening ceremonies...Things were just extremely hectic. I'm trying, I really am. This is all so new to me... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry! "I open my mouth but pause. Some of my anger fades away at her sincerity, its all to much for me to handle right now. A nurse then comes towards us, pausing; she hesitates as if deciding on whether or not to approach us. Finally, she clears her throat.

"Excuse me head mistress, but it's time for her medicine." she says.

"Oh yes, go right ahead Anita." says aunty, smiling politely. The nurse wobbles over to my IV bag. She’s chubby, and appears to be in her late 40s. She has soft brown eyes and a kind smile. She stretches up on her tip toes as she struggles with her short hands to reach the bag. She then injects fluid into it and walks away. Smiling as she leaves.

"I promise to explain everything when your better sweet heart. You should be checked out of the hospital soon. Now rest." says Aunt Sophia. I pause for a second, not knowing what to say and not wanting to be separated without answers. I sigh as I realize sleep is starting to present itself; my grogginess once again returning.  I struggle to form the words coherently, "allright," is all that manages to come out before I give away into the blissful promise of sleep.