Chapters 3 and 4

Chapter 3

            Since I finished my article assignment and started on tomorrows, Mr. Clint let me leave before my shift was over so I could pick Caleb up and get ready for our evening out. Pulling up outside of Sprouts Kindergarten Center half an hour before school ended, I checked my teeth in the mirror, popped a fresh mint into my mouth, and sprayed my favorite cologne once before heading towards the door.

 There was a new teacher. She had mile long legs that looked amazing while she wore the mandatory school uniform, white blouse, a skirt, and heels. Seemed weird, if you ask me, to require the teachers to wear skirts and heels while working with kids, but with this particular teacher, I was happy they had the dress code. Needless to say, she was my favorite teacher. Her blue eyes still held the spark that all new teachers had before being tainted by the stress of their jobs.

            When I walked in, I was greeted by those blue eyes and a sweet smile that made my heart thump a bit faster.

She asked as I approached the desk. She was leant on one elbow, scribbling something on a piece of paper I responded, hoping I sounded as sexy as I wanted with her shirt showing a bit of cleavage from not being buttoned all the way. Her smile vanished quickly

She snapped, clicking her nails on the counter top. I smirked at her.

Realizing that she was not going to allow me to flirt any longer, I sighed.

Caleb was running at me with something attached to a string flying behind him like his curls were doing.

Ms. Edbetter scolded as she snatch him into her arms.

His face fell as he tried squirming from her hold.

his tiny voice called and I watched as his blue eyes turned aqua with the tears threatening to spill over. Ms. Edbetter turned a quizzical eye in my direction before putting Caleb down and allowing him to fly into my arms. He was rambling about something as he waved his craft back and forth. Swooping down, I picked him up and set him on my shoulders before signing him out, winking to the new teacher, and leaving.

            On the drive home, I listened to Caleb talk about his day. Something he said sent a queasy feeling into my stomach. Had we already come to Mother’s Day without me I had just pulled into the driveway and shut the car off before rushing to the back of the car to get my boy into my arms. Trying to get a child out of a car seat in a hurry is not possible. My poor fingers ached at being pinched in the buckles so many times. I hugged my boy to me and sat on the driveway, too worried about him to bother going inside. We have this talk a lot lately. He notices things that other kids are doing like going to the park for play dates or sitting on their mom’s lap for a cuddle. Apparently, having your dad do those things with you is different.

            It took a while to finally get him settled down. This being the third time he’s come home with a story that makes him cry, I decided to call the school. No matter how Ms. Edbetter felt about the topic of moms, she had no right to talk that way towards a five year old and if there were issues, I should have been told before any scolding happened. When I called the school, Miss Ella answered only to inform me that the school was closing for the day and I needed to call back tomorrow.

            While I got together a plate of chocolate chip cookies to take to the Clint’s, my doorbell rang. Caleb, who was trying to sneak a cookie, quickly ran to the window next to the door as I followed behind him. Opening the door slightly, I pear out to find no one there. On my doorstep though, there is an envelope with my name on it. After retrieving it, turning to get Caleb, and realizing he was no longer next to me, I hear something clang in the kitchen and then a shout. An empty cookie sheet is lying on the floor and my boy is hopping around waving his hand in the air. Rushing to him, I stop the waving and checked his hand, which was turning an angry red. Turning on the tap, I let the cold water run over his hand.

 noticing? He gave me his best puppy dog look with a trembling lip. Even though, I knew the look well since he used it a lot, I couldn’t help myself from falling for it every time.

I kissed his little fingers before pulling a freeze pop from the freezer and giving it to him.

            Once the tray was picked up and the cookies were wrapped, I let Caleb watch television while I opened the letter.

            Max, I’ve finally found you after five years. I’m coming for Caleb and I will get him. He is mine after all. Keep a close eye. He might just be gone the next time you turn around.

            I stared at the paper not being able to focus. My heart beats frantically as I look to see Caleb is still on the floor in front of the TV. This can’t be real. The letter was comprised of cut out words some in black ink others in pinks and blues so there was no way to try and match the writing to anyone’s I’d seen before. Who would write something like this? Amanda? She’s been out of our lives for five years. Why would she come back after all this time?

Chapter 4

            Trying to focus on mingling with my second family, I felt numb inside. Who would want my son? Besides the obvious, I mean, I haven’t seen or heard from Amanda in five years. I had picked up and moved over two-thousand miles from her. I had picked up and moved from Arizona all the way across the US to South Carolina. She couldn’t have known.

My best friend William asked. He was wearing a bright pink shirt and it looked like he was wearing lip gloss.

I teased. It was strange at first to know my best friend was gay, but I grew used to it. He had called the other night to tell me about a new ‘friend’ he wanted me to meet and pestered me to come for dinner. Will’s face lit up and he jerked his head to the left. There was a tall man standing awkwardly next to wear Caleb was playing with his cars, just watching people. When he saw Will and me looking his way, he gave a small wave and started towards us slowly, his leather jacket moving with him as he came closer.

It was strange, perhaps stereotypical of me, to be caught off guard at the ‘bad boy’ look Will’s friend gave off. His black hair was mused with gel and his skinny jeans were ripped. I also noticed his awesome boots. In comparison to William, Nate definitely was the man in this relationship. Will liked a lot of girly things, but could hold his own in ‘manly’ conversation.

I teased. It was strange at first to know my best friend was gay, but I grew used to it. He had called the other night to tell me about a new ‘friend’ he wanted me to meet and pestered me to come for dinner. Will’s face lit up and he jerked his head to the left. There was a tall man standing awkwardly next to wear Caleb was playing with his cars, just watching people. When he saw Will and me looking his way, he gave a small wave and started towards us slowly, his leather jacket moving with him as he came closer.

It was strange, perhaps stereotypical of me, to be caught off guard at the ‘bad boy’ look Will’s friend gave off. His black hair was mused with gel and his skinny jeans were ripped. I also noticed his awesome boots. In comparison to William, Nate definitely was the man in this relationship. Will liked a lot of girly things, but could hold his own in ‘manly’ conversation.

I tease. Nate greeted while wrapping his arm around Will’s waist.

 As we talked, I scanned the yard to find Caleb sitting on Mrs. Clint’s lap while she read him a book. The screen door opened with a screech and I felt my heart pound violently. She’s here. What is she doing here?

 Ella smiled at my boy before greeting Mr. and Mrs. Clint and heading towards where the guys and I were standing in the yard. She looked gorgeous and her legs were even sexier than I imagined in her tiny little shorts. Her hair was pulled up in a pony tail with a few strands hanging down and sun glasses sitting atop her head.

greeted with a wink and watched her roll her eyes at me. Nate laughed before wrapping her in a hug. We all stood together and chatted, but no matter how much I tried, Ella ignored me. Deciding after dinner that I needed to change tactics, I tried using Caleb as help, but she saw right through it and chastised me for using my son. However, she had started talking to me, if only just a little. When the end of the night came, my mind was seriously screwed. I couldn’t decide whether I should focus on this letter or if I should strategize on how to get Ella now that she actually allowed me to talk with her and be involved in her conversations with Nate and Will.