"Eb... Will you marry me?" [07]

After he’d confessed his dark secret and we parted ways, Daniel had avoided me like I was a disease.

I didn’t really understand why, and it was quite hurtful, but every time I tried speaking to him, he would either give me vague, one-word answers or blank me altogether and walk away.

Shaun was home tomorrow, and I needed to know I had someone to talk to; but Daniel was avoiding me and nobody else knew about the violence at home.

I was petrified to go home and find Shaun there tomorrow, knowing I could come to work tomorrow black and blue in places nobody could see.

I was a prisoner in my own relationship.

So I sat at my desk and buried myself in my work; trying to forget about the two men haunting my thoughts. But I was completely unsuccessful.

I shouldn’t even be trying to speak to Daniel, it was dangerous. If Shaun ever found out, he’d kill him, and then kill me without hesitation.

It was nice knowing that someone knew about it and was worried about my safety, but it was also scary thinking that Daniel could slip up and tell somebody else, and before I know it the whole building could know.

Joan had noticed my change in attitude, but never said anything. Something seemed to be pleasing her at the moment, and whenever I queried it; she would just say ‘I woke up like this’ or something rubbish along those lines.

So I gave up trying to ask her.

All I knew was she was leaving her post a little earlier than usual, and when I spoke to the guard at the door, he claims that he never saw her leave; which confuses me. Who would finish their work and stay in the building for an extra hour?

Pointless.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, and I scooped it out and looked. A new text message. I quickly opened it, but my smile faltered at the name.

Shaun.

Home a day early babe, hurry up home! I want to see you! Xx

I froze, and panic washed over me. Home early? He wanted to see me? My heart was hammering against my chest as I slowly stood up; grabbing my stuff.

I exited my office, and looked at Joan.

“I’m leaving early today Joan.” I spoke softly, and she gazed at me curiously.

“Why? Mr. Jefferson doesn’t like people leaving early.” He frowned, and I scoffed at her hypocrisy. “Joan, you’ve been leaving this office early for nearly a week.” I pointed out, and she blushed.

“You never told me why.” She said, changing the subject quickly.

“Shaun’s home.” I spoke slowly, and she nodded in realisation.

“I’ll let Mr. Jefferson know.” And in a matter of seconds, the phone was at her ear dialling his office. I didn’t stick around to listen in to the conversation. I was too busy trying to calm myself down before my body over-loaded.

I quickly signed out, and pushed open the door, when a hand clasped my wrist. Instinctively I gritted my teeth and froze; closing my eyes. “Eb... It’s just me.” A soft, familiar voice spoke; and I dared myself to open my eyes.

Slowly I did, and came face to face with Daniel, watching me worriedly. “Oh, you’re speaking to me now?” I yanked my wrist from his grasp, and continued outside. “I’m sorry I haven’t been speaking to you recently...” He said quietly.

I rolled my eyes and continued towards my car. He grabbed my elbow and spun me round to face him, and I growled angrily. “I have to go, Mr. Jefferson.” I seethed, and yanked myself from his grasp once more.