Chapter Five

Chapter Five

After a troubled night, Penelope awoke early and although she didn't feel at all rested, she was determined not to feel down today. Careful not to wake Derek, she crept into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth, then she carefully collected up what she needed and went out into the living room to get ready.

Once dressed, she sat at the kitchen table to curl her hair, then took a little more time than usual applying her makeup, using it as a kind of mask, a shield she could use to hide her vulnerability from the world. She had chosen a purple dress, teaming it with matching lilac heels and bolero cardigan. Then she sat in front of her mirror again and pinned the front curls back from her face, adding a lilac satin fascinator, which she pinned above one ear.

When she was done, she heard the shower running and knew that Derek was awake. He was usually up before now, but she plastered a smile on her face and began making pancakes for breakfast.

As she cooked, she wondered if he had already done his exercises this morning, because she hadn't heard any signs. It wasn't like him to skip it but if he was in the shower, he clearly either had worked out, or he wasn't intending to.

With the pancake mix made and now that she didn't risk waking him, she turned the kitchen radio on and flicked through the pre-programmed stations, until We Are Young came on. The song was old now but she still liked it. She began to sing along, as she added the mix to the hot pan, knowing that singing always improved her mood.

She was just serving up the first batch, drizzling them in maple syrup, when Derek emerged. He was dressed in dark, muted colours as usual, the antithesis of her own style, but she had to admit that his look suited him.

He seemed surprised to see her. She didn't know if it was because she was awake before him, already dressed and cooking, or because she was remarkably chipper.

"Penelope?"

"What, no 'Good morning, Princess' today?" she teased.

"Good morning, Princess."

"And a very good morning to you, my Prince."

She handed him a plate of pancakes but he put it down on the counter and stepped up to her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her against him, despite the resistance she was offering.

"I just wanted to tell you than I know this can't be easy for you, and I'm proud of you for doing it."

His kind word made her eyes prick with tears again but she couldn't give into them, not today, so she pushed him away and grinned up at him.

"I'm fine, Derek. Honestly."

He didn't look convinced but he didn't press the matter.

"So, looks like my Baby's been busy," he said, picking his plate up and tucking into a pancake. "Mmm, mmm! Looks like I married my very own domestic goddess!"

"I don't think Nigella has anything to worry about," she smiled. She was slightly obsessed with the British cook, Nigella Lawson, AKA the Domestic Goddess. Derek professed to enjoy watching too but Penelope thought it had more to do with her sultry manner and voluptuous figure, than her baking.

"I don't know," Derek ran his eyes over her figure. "Looks like she might from where I'm standing."

Her smile faded. "Derek, stop, please."

He put his plate down and stepped towards her.

"Please tell me what's wrong?"

He looked worried and she sighed, knowing that she was the cause of his concern and that she'd have to explain herself.