Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Leaning back in his office chair, Alex looked out over New York City in the evening. At the numerous different colored light sparkled combined with the bright lights of Forty second street, the billboards of Time Square could not be missed. Even with four inch thick glass to stifle the traffic noise, he could hear the hum of taxis, pedestrians, and street vendors hawking their merchandise.

He loved Manhattan, was a born and bred New Yorker. His family was considered ‘old money’ in Manhattan society. His great great grandfather had come from Ireland with basically nothing and had busted his ass for years before finally getting the break he wanted. And since then their wealth had only grown and grown and grown, to that of the Rockefeller’s, and The Astons.

So the fact that an employee had stole a quarter of a million dollars of his money, was unacceptable and made him furious and ready to kill someone. And the fact that it had taken so long to discover the missing money was beyond thought.

And now his staff scurried about, going through records and computers and anything else they could find, looking for any other missing money.

     “Knock, knock” his secretary sang as he came into the office

Alex smiled at his friend and assistant, Brian. Most people were surprised to see a male assistant, but he was the best assistant anybody could have. And Alex didn’t have to worry about Brian trying to steal any of his girlfriends. Brian was gay and in a happy relationship.

“Well boss man, you have everyone running around like there’s a fox in the hen house” he slumped into the chair in front of the desk

“You. Running?” Alex joked

“Lord no, I’d probably scuff my new Aldo’s” Brian shivered dramatically “But every database has been finely combed and every file has been checked, checked again, and then checked again”

“And”

“There is no other funds missing”

Alex sighed and reached for his cigar box ‘This calls for a smoke”

Brian stood frowning at him “So can I send the slaves home now?” he waved smoke away from his face distastefully

“Yes and give them all a twenty percent bonus” He was in a better mood now that he knew that everything else was safe.

“That would make them happy after a week with the terror” Brain snorted

“Bring me the file on Rogers then you too can leave”

“Well thank you so much Mr. Maddox” Brian waved smoke away again “Those things stink” he turned on his new Aldo’s and hurried out

Alex snubbed out the cigar and smiled. His company was safe, and now he wanted his money back. Standing up he replaced his suit jacket, and powered down the computer.

After thinking about Amira Rogers all week, he had a proposition for her. One that he knew she couldn’t, and wouldn’t give up.

Whistling, he left his office, stopping briefly to get the file then onto the elevator. He knew her shop closed at nine, and he had half an hour before it closed.

Pulling up outside the shop, he frowned when he saw there were no lights on. Cursing he slid out the car and walked to the door, peering inside.

There behind the counter with a muffin and cup in front of her, was Amira. She picked up a receipt, frowned then jotted something into a notebook, then grabbed another receipt, and repeated the process.