Blame my Blood

Draco

Draco awoke to a strange scent.  He wasn't in his bed, and the voices of his professors were all around him.  Opening his eyes, he found himself in a bed in the hospital wing.  He stared at the ceiling and made no move to alert his professors that he was awake just yet.  He turned his head to the left and his eyes came into contact with Hermione's sleeping form on the bed beside him.  Draco threw regard for his teachers to the back of his mind as he sprang from his bed, sending it backward a good five feet in his scramble to reach his mate.

Oh God...what happened to Hermione?  My Hermione, what can I do? Draco reached out a hand tentatively, and placed it on her hand.  Upon feeling a pulse, his heartbeat slowed fractionally.  He had known her not to be dead, but feeling it for himself was quite another matter altogether.  "Hermione?  Love, can you hear me?"  When she didn't respond, Draco grasped her hand tightly within both of his own.  I have failed.  I didn't protect her.  And now she's hurt!  If I had only-

"Mr. Malfoy?"  Draco's thoughts were cut short by the voice of his headmaster.  Growling, and tightening his grip on his mate's hand, Draco turned to face the group that assembled behind him.  Potty and the Weasels were there of course, Dumbledore, Snape, Madame Pomfrey, and McGonagall were there as well.  They all watched as Draco's eyes darkened in his efforts to protect his mate from potential threats, and simultaneously shuffled backward.  Draco's growling lowered in volume, but was still present as his headmaster began to speak.

"Mr. Malfoy.  We are not here to harm you or your mate.  She should be waking up any moment now..."  Dumbledore ceased talking when Hermione stirred in her sleep.  Draco turned hurriedly and focused his attention solely on her.  Hermione's eyes fluttered open.  They settled on Draco, and she smiled. 

"What happened?" she asked to no one in particular.  Draco moved swiftly, and wrapped his arms around her where she lay.

"You're safe now.  No one will hurt you.  Thank Merlin you're awake!"  Draco began purring happily as she mirrored him, pulling him closer to her.  Draco felt her relief and he purred louder.  Someone coughed behind the couple, and Hermione jerked backward, embarrassment flooding her thoughts as she realized they were not alone.  Draco glared at the assembled group, but sat on the edge of Hermione's bed continuously purring.

"As I was saying," Dumbledore explained, "None of us are here to harm you.  Apparently, that was never anyone's intent.  When Miss Parkinson slipped you some of that love potion, she assumed that the effects would be routine.  What she did not expect, however, is for your veela blood to reject something that tried to separate you from you mate; even if temporarily.  Your blood, for lack of a better term, 'shut down' and started to purify itself.  This is why you both became suddenly dizzy.  She also didn't expect that when she kissed you, Hermione's body would shut down.  The veela, having forsaken its mate, caused the mate to feel vulnerable.  Miss Granger's body felt her mate leave her, and in response, it triggered a defense mechanism: temporarily 'shutting down'.  Being completely loyal to their mates, if a veela is unfaithful, it is not by attraction to another, that is physically impossible, it is purposeful and out of spite.  The mate feels this and in return, the 'shut down' is what it responds with.  Miss Parkinson expresses her apologies Mr. Malfoy.  Miss Granger, we shall not repeat what she directed to you, in an attempt to not upset Mr. Malfoy here.  She has been placed in detention for the next three months for attempting to slip you a potion without your knowledge.  It is a highly frowned upon offense that must be dealt with accordingly.  There will not be a repeat of her actions.  We have explained to her about your...unique situation, and although she is not happy, we expected no less from an angsted teenager.  On a happier note, you will both make a full recovery, and seeing as today is Friday, you will not be expected to return to classes again until Monday morning.  If you are in need of anything let any of your professors know.  Have a good weekend!"