Ch.0: Prologue

Scarlet Desires 

By Jenny Li Voon

All Rights Reserved. 2013.

"I want" - pleaded - All its life -

I want - was chief it said

When Skill entreated it - the last - 

And when so newly dead -

I could not deem it late - to hear

That single - steadfast sigh -

The lips had placed as with a "Please"

Toward Eternity -

~Emily Dickinson

~PROLOGUE~

   No one likes to speak about death. Some of us indulge in it every now and then. Yet we all know, deep within our hearts, we all have to die at some point in life. More than one hundred and fifty thousand people die every day. More than six thousand die every hour and more than a hundred every minute we speak.

   It doesn't matter how you try to escape from it. What matters is how long is your supposed life's duration is. That is, unless one of the night creatures killed you before your life line ended. So that's why there's a saying called, "Live to the fullest.", because every second, minute and hour is precious. Time flies by quickly and soon you're bound to die. 

   "Help me! Someone, please!"

   I ran as fast as my feet could take me. My senses magnified as my survival instinct kicked in. The dark, ancient trees towered over me, giving a sense of claustrophobia. My breathing slowly became labored as the toll of exhaustion took over. Yet, I kept running on despite the aching of my legs. 

   Running for my dear life. 

   In any other day, I would probably laugh and say, "Wow, that's such an overused phrase! Can't think of any better lines?" But here I am, getting chased by someone or something that I've never seen before in my whole life and it's planning to kill me. Or eat me. I caught the sight of him jumping from a tree to another out the corner of my eye.

   "Do you think you can escape from me?" he snickered, his words filled with venom and evil.

   I skittered to a halt at the sight of him in front of me. Without wasting any moment, I turned my heels to run, only to be caught by his grimy fingers. A yelp escaped from my chapped lips when I landed head first on the mossy ground. My vision blurred instantly at the impact and I struggled to free my leg away from his deadly grip. 

   He chuckled at the pitiful sight of me and murmured, "Humans. They think they can escape from anything..."

   Adrenaline rushed through my body when I caught a glimpse of him baring his fangs, poised to feed at my feet. Hysteria started to bubble up my chest as I frantically tried to kick his face away from me. When I finally knew that crazed attacks towards him would not work, I pretended to be exhausted from all the kicking and stopped for a while.

   After picking the right momentum, my other foot shot up and kicked his disgusting face away from me. His grip loosened immediately and without any hesitation, I quickly scrambled to my feet. A low growl emerged from his throat and before I knew it, I was pinned to the ground with him on the top of me. This familiar position reminded me of the painful experience I had a few years ago.

   Rape.

   The word flashed in my mind and made me cringe. Tears threatened to spill over my cheeks as my mind filled with images of that incident. I won't let it repeat again, I thought. Determination and anger filled my body as I struggled to shake him off.

    "Stop moving!" he commanded, his eyes showed no mercy or humanity.

   He pinned my arms to the ground and our faces were just inches apart from each other. His horrible stench of death and rot automatically made me scrunched my nose in disgust. "Get away from me!" I screeched, trying my best to topple him. My attempt was proven futile when it only to made him smile.

         "Oh, the advantages of being a vampire..."

   My light brown eyes widened when his fangs plunged straight into my unguarded neck, draining my blood. All I could do was pray fervently to Lord and hoped that I would go to Heaven. With each drop of blood leaving me, I felt my life force slowly slipping away. My strength soon disappeared along with the remnants of will.

   My name is Fennel August. I used to be an ordinary girl in high school. Now I'm getting sucked to death by a disgusting vampire with a goal to possess my hidden High Blood.

And it all started on the day I died.

~~~

A/N

I had this brilliant idea when I was sleeping. I'm serious when I said I dreamt of this! It even completed with an ending :) How convenient. Thank you to everyone that read this story and hope you enjoyed it :D x So if you love the plot of this prologue, please vote and/or comment on it. I really, really appreciate it. Silent readers are discouraged. Serious.

~Jen