Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Following Orders

"That's a C sharp, Mr. Danielson, not a C flat. Let's try again, shall we?"

"Sorry, Mr. Cathoway." I correct my fingering on the piano and begin the long piece again. This was the third piano in a row this week. Mom and Dad weren't kidding when they laid out my 'sentencing.' After this, I have to go to Allison's house for my first 'training session.' All these terms and I have no idea what any of them mean.

This time, I play the piece flawlessly and I even catch my instructor, Mr. Cathoway, swaying softly to the music. I chuckle and turn back to the sheet music, even though by now I know it by heart. It wasn't complicated, just excruciatingly long. At the end, Mr. Cathoway claps and I pretend to bow pompously. I hear Dad laugh from the doorway and I glare at him. He walks away grinning and it ruins my happy, carefree mood. "Much better!" Mr. Cathoway praises. "Next time, we'll work on the Fur Elise. Have it ready for me tomorrow." I nod in answer and he rushes out the door smiling.

Mr. Cathoway is a little strange, but he's actually a pretty good teacher. A few more weeks of this, and I'll be able to play Rachmanioff blindfolded. Yeah, right. And purple sparkly rainbows will shoot out of my ass.

"Connor! You'd best get ready, or you'll be late for your appointment!" Mom called from another room. 

Appointment. So that's what we're calling it now? Whatever, I'll go with it. Without bothering to reply, I walk to my room and throw on a fitted grey t-shirt. I stare at my rumpled hair and unbrushed teeth in the mirror and shrug. It's not like I care, right? Grabbing my car keys, I rush out of the room and into the car waiting outside. It's a hot day outside, so I open the windows and blast the radio, singing along to Jason Derulo. 

The drive is short, so I pull up to their house as the song ends. One of their servants meets me at the door and leads me into the sitting room. I collapse onto the stiff leather couch to wait for Mrs. McHartey. She arrives just moments after I do in a flash of green. Her loose fitting green satin dress makes her look years younger than she really is, which is both awkward and intriguing. How do women do that? Slap some paint on their faces and pull on a dress and magically look ten years younger? I'll never know.

"Welcome!" I stand and grasp her outstretched hand. "Your parents did call to say you were on the way. Please, have some tea." Mrs. McHartey motioned to a nearby butler who quickly filled two china cups. I politely sipped mine and tried not to look uncomfortable.

"So, my mother mentioned something about training? Training for what?"

Mrs. McHartey pauses before answering. "Well, I see we have some work to be done. You'll need to speak in complete sentences, Connor, if you wish to be treated with dignity."

I do my best not to roll my eyes. "My apologies, Mrs. McHartey. I was just inquiring what purpose the training would serve?"

She nods approvingly and took a sip of tea. "That was much better. To answer your question, the training is to prepare you both to marry  my daughter and to take over our family's business. Your father has most likely introduced you to many of his most prominent clients, but ours are somewhat more nationally acclaimed. You will need to be properly prepared before you meet them."

Actually, Dad hasn't taken me to many important business meetings. I guess I have a lot of work cut out for me. But hey, when you're grounded, you don't have much of an excuse, do you? "That sounds fine. What sort of... preparation did you have in mind?"

"Well, there are of course the basics. Proper table manners, first impressions, posture, handshakes, how to act in the presence of clients or employees, management, proper grooming, and of course eloquent speech. To start, that is."

My mouth threatens to fall open, so I quickly hold it close while pretending to scratch my chin. "Oh, is that all?"

"Of course not! There's loads to be done, I'm afraid. And with so little time we'll have to make haste. Today, we'll be starting with grooming and elocution. Mr. McHartey will teach you grooming habits as soon as he's done with a satellite call. Until then, you and I shall turn our focus to your speech."

"Um... okay?"

Mrs. McHartey scowls at me and I feel my cheeks burn. "That is an example of a very poorly constructed sentence. Never use words such as 'um, er, uh, eh, so, or ah.' Also, turning a statement into a question is also a very big social no-no. As are words related to modern society."

"I'm not sure I follow."

"Words such as 'retweet, blog, or skype.' They are not considered business appropriate. Less known and more tolerated are contractions. Try to use them as little as possible."

"I will be sure to do that, Mrs. McHartey."

She smiles at me and I resist the urge to stick my tongue out at her like a little school child. "Much better."

I shake my head. "Mrs. McHartey, with all due respect, this type of speaking just doesn't roll off the tongue. It doesn't come naturally. I would feel so much better talking like I would to a friend, that way it would seem much less formal and forced, you know?"

She shakes her head and her earrings clang against her necklace. "Clients are not friends. There is a very large difference between the two. Modern companies have attempted to bridge the gap between the two worlds, and it has worked out for no one. Treating our clients with propriety is what seperates us from the rest. They view it as a sign of respect, which tends to work in our favor. So if you are going to take over two powerful law firms, I suggest you follow our advice. We are, after all, the ones who founded the companies and made them what they are today." She sits down onto her chair with a huff and smooths the folds of her skirt down, as if they have somehow become rumpled from her harsh words.

I gape at her for a few seconds before regaining my cool composure. "Okay, okay, I guess that makes sense. Sorry if I offended you."

She nods stiffly and turns sharply to the door. I follow her gaze and see Mr. McHartey standing in the doorway looking exhaused. His tie is loose, his shirt is untucked, and his hair has lost the shape I'm sure it once had during the day. I stand up and walk quickly over to shake his hand.

"Hello, Connor. How are you?"

"Fine, thank you sir."

He smiles softly and turns to Mrs. McHartey. "Are you finished with him?"

"For now," she replies, and walks out of the room without further comment. Mr. McHartey nods and turns back to me.

"Well. If you'll follow me, then, we will begin our lesson. But first there are some things we need to talk about." He leads me out of the room and I'm left trailing in his wae, wondering what exactly he has to talk to me about. And whether I really want to talk about it.

*****

I'm sorry, everyone, I'm so so so so busy and I haven't had time for a better or longer upload.Believe it or not, this took me the better part of the week to write!!!! I'll try to do better sooon, so for now, have an awesome day!

WRITE ON!

<3 SnazzyReader