Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Warning: Jealousy May Cause Pinching

In the few days since Lacey had slipped me the note, we had gone to coffee twice before school and watched TV at Lacey's house after school three times. It wasn't great, but it was a way to pass the time. And it was true, while he would never tell Tim and the guys, that she was a really, really good kisser.

I stand in front of my locker after fourth period, looking for my Biology 2 textbook, when Lacey comes up behind me. She puts her hands on my shoulders and massages them. It would normally feel good, but I don't like Lacey that much. I plaster a smile on my face and turn. "Hey, what's up?"

 She gives me a quick kiss on the mouth and I can taste her cherry lip gloss. "Just thought I'd say hi to my boyfriend before class."

Woah, woah, woah. Boyfrined? We'd only been out a few times? Well, too late now. The people that were standing nearest to us already had their phones out. I really hated all this technology... it was just way too easy for everyone to find out about everyone else's personal business.

"Well, you said hi." I turn back to my locker, but she's not leaving. Lacey presses her lips to my neck, biting and kissing up and down until I almost laugh. When she feels me smile, she draws back. "Wanna do something after school today?" I glance over and see Kimberly standing in the doorway, pretending to listen to Mr. Rogers. But who can listen to that guy anyway?

"What did you have in mind?"

She smiled. "Rollerblading."

I laugh, and she gives me a pouty face. "Rollerblading? Isn't that, like, from the sixties?Do they even have places for people to do that anymore?"

Lacey smiled and I could sense deviousness coming. "Nope. My dad's construction company was hired to tear the one on fifth avenue down, but I stole his keys. Demolition starts tomorrow... the skates and everything are still there. I thought we'd get some pizza and have a party." Yep, there it is.

"Wait, how many people are coming?"

Lacey shrugged. "Well, I sent out a mass text. I'm new, but that didn't stop people from giving me their numbers. Anyway, you in?"

I glance at Kim again and she's staring at me with wide eyes and a knowing smile. "I guess," I say. As expected, Kim whips out her cell and texts so fast that I can't even see her fingers move. Within seconds, everyone's phones are buzzing. Lacey is enveloped in the crowd of people swarming her and I turn back to my locker.

Kim, to her credit, is standing in front of me. I jump and almost trip over my own feet. "Geez, what are you, a ghost!?"

She laughs and moves aside so I can get to my locker. "So. You and Lacey?"

I avert my eyes. "What about us?"

"Ooh, us." Crap. She didn't miss that one. "So you are a couple. Fascinating. She's here less than a week and you've already tapped that?"

"I haven't tapped anything!" I say, aggravated. "What business is it of yours, anyway?" She shrugged. I pulled a book out of my locker and slammed it shut, walking away. She followed me. "Can I help you?" 

She smirks and puts her arm around my waist after pinching my cheek, hard. "You're so adorable, the way you avoid people. But yes, you can help me. Allison. What do you think of her?"

I glare at her and stop walking. "I don't. Why?"

She shrugged and looked past me. "You've never thought of her?"

I shake my head, lying through my teeth. "Nope. Why would you think I would?"

"Because she's virtually the only girl that isn't fawning over you. I just thought that might make you a little... curious."