Chapter One| The Big Move

I watch as the movers put the last few boxes into the van. Today was the “Big Move” as my mom liked to call it. Today was the day we were moving to some stupid place called Cherry Paradise. To me a town with that kind of name must be filled with fruit cups. Today was the day my mom, dad, my little brother Aaron and I were saying goodbye to the house we’ve lived in for nearly seventeen years. I turn my back to the moving van and look at the house. There were so many memories in that place; it almost hurt to leave it behind.

A honk from a car breaks my trip down memory lane. I look towards our street, Emma and Harper stood waving towards me. I make a dash towards the car and hug my best friends one last time.

“I’m going to miss you guys so much!” My arms tighten around them.

“We’ll miss you too girly.” Harper sniffles.                     

Emma, Harper and I have been best friends for as long as I could remember. We did almost everything together and if there was ever a time one of us was going through a hellish moment in our lives the other two were always there to help pick up the broken pieces.

“It’s going to be so weird going back to school without you there.” Emma’s voice cracked.

“Please don’t cry Emma!” My eyes began to water and I could feel myself about to break.

We were like the three musketeers, and yet here we were saying goodbye to a member of the squad. I could feel pieces of my heart breaking just from the thought. Our group was like a puzzle piece, every person represented a little something that the others didn’t have, something that put some individuality into our group.

Harper was the strongest. Even when her ex boyfriend Seth cheated on her and broke her heart after a nearly two year relationship; she still stayed strong not even bothering to shed a tear over him.  She was the star soccer player at our school and nothing ever stopped her from being anything less. She always put a lot of dedication into her sports.  This year was the year she was going to make captain for our high school team this year because honestly, she deserved it.

Emma was the brainiest of the group and yet still managed to be a complete girly girl. She won the science fair five times and I’ve never seen her get less than an eighty-five on anything. She was a part of almost every club was freaking amazing at it. Besides being Ms. Smarty-Pants, Emma was also the fashionista. Her outfits always looked like something you would see on a Forever 21™ model or out of a Charlotte Russe™ catalog.  

I of course was the artistic one of the group. Ever since I was a kid my mom and I have been into pottery, crafting, and painting. The sunset mural in my, now old room, was done by my mom and me when I was twelve. Art has always been the special bond between us. My freshman year I joined the art club at our school and haven’t regretted a single moment of it. We did so many school murals and even some outside of school projects. It was a shame to have to leave it all behind.

I look at each of my friend’s faces and couldn’t help but smile. They were my best friends and just because I was moving didn’t mean the bond wouldn’t still be there.

I notice my mom wave at me, signaling for me final goodbyes.  Letting out a sigh I turn my attention back to them. “I have to go now guys.” I hug each of them and walk away towards the car.

“Amelia wait!” Emma and Harper call in unison.

I glance back and notice Emma holding a silver charm bracelet. Running towards them I slowly take it out of her hands. “What is this?”