CHAPTER-4

Harry's absence the previous day meant that Mrs. Weasley's party for the new Head Boy, Head Girl, and Prefect (she insisted the Lovegoods come to celebrate with them) was now in full swing just two days before their Hogwarts return.

Harry had walked into breakfast that morning to find everyone's eyes on him with expectant looks on their faces.

"Er...what?"

"Your Hogwarts letter came yesterday." Ginny offered it to him. It seemed heavier than it should have been. Surely they didn't make him quidditch captain when he specifically told McGonagall....

A shiny gold badge with the letters "HB" fell into his hand. The whole table erupted into cheers. Mrs. Weasley caught him in a tight embrace, sobbing out how proud she was between pecks on the cheek. He felt his cheeks glowing red hot from all the attention.

"Alright mum, give him some air." George waved his wand and they were gently pushed apart. Mrs. Weasley glared at her son, but proceeded to pile Harry's plate with two helpings of everything.

"So who's Head Girl?" he asked as Ginny gave him a hug and kiss of her own. He had asked the entire table but was looking at Hermione. She broke into a bright smile. "Of course. It couldn't have been anyone else. Congratulations Hermione."

She left her seat and flew to him to crush him in a hug, unceremoniously dislodging Ginny. Ron snickered but Ginny looked murderous and cleared her throat rather loudly.

Hermione awkwardly cleared her own throat and returned to her seat, her cheeks a rosy pink.

Mrs. Weasley had pulled out all the stops to decorate the back yard and had even enlisted a shocked George to add his own touch. He of course responded with tiki torches that zapped people's hair into standing on end if they got too close and half his stock of fireworks.

Despite Harry and Hermione's pleas to keep it a simple affair, Mrs. Weasley simply wouldn't have it and it seemed like everyone they had ever met was there. All of the remaining Order members were present including Minister Shacklebolt, most of their teachers had come, the entirety of their remaining Gryffindor class mates as well as most of Ginny's year (now their current classmates) had shown up, Hermione's parents had come via a special floo connection, and even Dudley Dursley had come.

"Dudley?" a shocked Harry had spluttered.

"Yeah, I wanted to come and....er....congratulate you." Dudley looked somewhat frightened and nervous, but resolutely put his hand out to shake Harry's. Harry had returned the gesture and a small smile escaped onto both their faces. Mrs. Weasley then showed a suddenly giddy Dudley over to the food table.

Once he had discovered that wizarding food didn't have any repercussions to eating it, Dudley had looked much more at ease the rest of the evening. He even laughed when a tiki torch sent his hair standing on end, making him look like he had touched a light pole.

But the real surprise had come later.

"Potter."

Harry and Ginny had been deep in conversation about what the Head dorms would look like when a drawling voice behind him made him stand and turn in one fluid motion. Standing in front of him was Draco Malfoy.

"What are you doing here?" Harry didn't even try to hide the dislike in his voice. The party had gone quiet around them as everyone waited to see what was going to happen.

"Granger insisted I come. Sent an owl that wouldn't quit following me around and knocking over everything in sight until I said I would be here."

He looked quite uncomfortable and somehow seemed smaller without the hulking presence of his minions behind him. Hermione came rushing up behind Draco.