CHAPTER-2

A/N: Okay, you guys are officially caught up with me. I had to finish this before posting. I hope I can maintain a steady pace with the updates, but I'll probably fall off the blistering pace I had set before. Absolutely love the way this chapter ends. My favorite scene yet. Cheers!

Content had never been a word to describe Ron's existence.

There had always been older brothers to live up to, a romantic interest that always did better at nearly everything, not to mention being friends with the guy who was the savior of the wizarding world. Twice.

But now? None of that bothered him anymore. He had been through too much and lost too much in the past year to let simple things bother him anymore.

Besides, he was just starting to realize just how good he really had it.

Poor Harry had been inundated with thank you cards and gifts the moment he had returned to England. He refused to go in public anymore unless it was necessary because he couldn't go anywhere without a crowd forming around him. The boy had never been comfortable with fame of any kind and found his new status more cumbersome and embarrassing than anything. Even Ron, who had used to yearn for the sort of spotlight Harry always had, didn't envy him.

Hermione's parents, while they had been more than happy to have their memories and their daughter back, had decided for the time being to stay in Australia. They corresponded frequently, but he could tell by the look that crossed Hermione's face when she read their letters that there were still some tensions in the Granger family.

"Ron? Could you help me slice the potatoes for supper?" his mother's voice called from the kitchen.

"Coming."

Ron made his way to the kitchen and successfully bewitched a knife to slice the freshly peeled potatoes. The slices weren't exactly even, but he was still getting the hang of some of the more domestic charms.

There was also the small matter of the way the Harry and Hermione acted around each other. To the untrained eye, nothing had changed. Harry and Hermione were still Harry and Hermione, the best of friends. However, Ron noticed that there was something new about them.

It was little things: Harry taking Hermione's dishes with his and Ginny's at the end of meals, Hermione's eyes lingering a bit longer on Harry when he left the room, Hermione ruffling Harry's hair, or Harry actually paying attention when Hermione went on her long diatribes.

Finishing the potatoes and moving now to the sink to wash some vegetables, he had to try three times before he got the hang of the simple wand flick to make them move and wash themselves.

Unfortunately, he didn't think he was the only one to notice this new level of friendship between Harry and Hermione. Ginny had been upset when he told her about his and Hermione's relationship ending, but he thought it suspicious that she could still be upset about that now. He caught Ginny throwing Hermione dirty looks when she had her back turned and there definitely seemed to be a rift between the former friends.

No, Ron couldn't be more grateful to avoid the problems his two closest friends were dealing with. He was more than happy to enjoy his friends and family now that the pallor of Fred's death had finally seemed to lift from the house. It wasn't that the pain was gone, but it no longer seemed to be sucking the life out of them.

His father and Percy had both returned to work and Ginny had returned from her stay at the Lovegood's with Luna in tow. Even George smiled from time to time, though he still hadn't returned to the joke shop. Angelina was managing things at the moment with occasional help from Ron, but she came over at least once a week to ask George to come back. Every time George maintained that he would return, but that it just wasn't time yet. Nobody begrudged him taking his time.