Chapter 4

Weeks passed since Ian had moved in to the city with his family. Finally, he was getting used to the bigger, bustling city, its people, and his life at school. He wasn’t very satisfied with his surroundings, but wouldn’t complain either. After all, there were people living in a lot worse places. Ian wasn’t the complaining, stubborn type. He accepted what came his way with patience and silence. That is why, he noticed, people warmed up to him a lot sooner than they would to any stranger.

Like Dan and Isobel. And a couple of other people in his class. What’s more, he was already a member of the Football society, highly appreciated for his goal keeping skills. Every day, he would go into the field and practice with the rest of the team members, enjoying every minute of it, reliving the memories of his old city.

Ian kicked the football hard, watching it fly in the air and land right in the middle of the ground. Several players from his team clapped and shouted ‘Good job, Ian’ and few slapped him on the back, running towards the ball, while he guarded their side of the net. The referee blew the whistle marking full time. He started walking off the ground with others. Dan joined him from the opponent’s end.

“Good game. You are one heck of a goal keeper.” Dan slapped him on the back, at the same time wiping his hands on the back of Ian’s shirt.

“Thanks. I’ve been doing it all my life.” Ian grinned.

They walked into the shower room and peeled off their clothes, getting under the shower cubicles.

“I like football. It’s fun.” Dan shouted over the pouring steamy water.

“Uh, yeah. Everyone does.” Ian shouted back.

“No, I mean, it’s really awesome. The way a tiny ball makes so many men run after it kicking its ass. It’s like a hot chic letting every guy kiss her ass.”

Ian laughed. “You sound like you’re playing it for the first time.”

Dan did not answer and came out of the shower room, dressing up. Ian followed after a few minutes.

“So what are you doing tonight?”Dan asked just as they started heading towards the next class.

“You’re not gonna ask me on a man date, are you?”

“Nah. Just asking if you’d like the idea of partying.”

“Sure. Don’t have anything better to do anyway.” He shrugged.

“Cool. 8 o clock. Your place.”

“My place?”

“Yeah. For partying.”

“Wait-what? The party is at my place?” Ian stopped walking, looking at Dan incredulously.

“Sure. Why not. Your folks have a night shift right?”

“Yeah but… and I hardly know people around here.”

“My man, remember who you are friends with?” Dan asked while he pointed at himself.

“Yeah. But-“

“8 o clock. We’ll be at your place. Treat us well.” Dan winked as they entered the class.

 ******

By nine, Ian’s place was already a packed, over populated jungle. Dan and Isobel had been the first to arrive, Dan bringing at least a dozen friends with him. The word about the party had spread out and before Ian knew, he was already looking at new faces, people he had never seen before. Except for his room, every inch of his apartment had arms and legs. Ian stood in a corner with a glass of soda, peering at everyone’s faces, trying to recognize them from somewhere…