Chapter 3

Skul flew fast, his wings beating the air like a whip as he moved forward. The soft pink clouds flew past him as he pierced some like an arrow, avoiding the larger ones by zigzagging around them. He flew faster and faster, the sea below becoming a huge purple blur now, the wind drumming against his ear.

At last he could glimpse it, the gray cone of the tall pillar, the tip of which pierced the clouds. He gathered more wind under his wings and pushed it harder, speeding himself up at the sight of his destination. As he got closer, he could make out the familiar thick golden rails on the terrace. The white marble grew detailed as he got closer, and the patterns on the pillars came to life. And someone was strolling on the terrace.

His feet landed on firm ground of the terrace. Light rain fell upon him, he now noticed, even when the sun shone brightly, peaking through the clouds. His soft thud of landing stopped the large man from strolling, eyes falling on Skul.

"What was so urgent, Skul?" His voice was hoarse.

"Master," Skul went down on a knee, and lowered his white wings on the floor. He got up and his wings disappeared. He looked at the man again, his pale face clearly reflecting annoyance for being disturbed this early in the hour.

"M-Master. I was seen." He lowered his head.

"Seen? By whom?"

"The-the boy himself," he said in a small voice.

"How?!" the man roared in anger.

"I was d-doing my job when he t-turned. He saw only a part of me, M-Master" He added hopefully, thinking it might bring down the rage of his Master.

"What part of you then, Skul? Your Wings?" He spat sarcastically.

"I-I'm afraid, yes."

"HOW? Were you not under cover?" His voice rang through the sky.

"I-Master-"

"WERE YOU NOT?!"

"I-I abandoned it," Skul whispered.

"Why? Why did you abandon your cover?!" He shouted, making Skul shrink even more than he had already shrunk. He did not reply but kept his head bowed quietly.

"I'm sure you'll get your answer if you asked more politely, Kral."

The two of them turned to see a man walking towards them, his dark brown robe lightly flapping, graying hair shining, kind gray eyes on Skul.

"Do you know what he has done?" the large man named Kral asked angrily.

"Yes. He exposed himself. I know." the man replied softly.

"And to whom?! Try asking him that and listen to the answer!" he spat.

"To the boy, I know." the man turned to Skul, "I have overheard you exposed yourself because you abandoned your cover. I need to know why you did so." He asked gently.

"My L-Lord. T-the c-cover... i-it was very uncom-f-forta...” Skul trailed of feebly.

Kral screamed in rage making Skul jump.

"Your comfort means more than the safety of the boy?!" he moved towards Skul, forcing him to look up.

Skul was almost close to tears just as the other man gently released him from Kral's strong grip.

"Leave, Skul. Thank you." the man said gently.

"L-leave, my Lord?"

"Yes. Go back to your cover. And please, stay there. It is very important to guard him. You must understand that. Danger lurks close to him. And you are able to protect him. That is why I trusted you with this job." he spoke gently, but firmly.