Pizza and Rain

I lay in bed for ages after I’d woken up. My mind was full of thoughts and confusion. Now that Jake knew about Shane and me, we could date. But what if my brother wasn’t the only thing stopping Shane from actually dating me? What if he was just interested in the benefits?

I was interrupted from my thoughts when there was a knock on my bedroom door.

 “Come in!” I called lazily from my bed.

The door swung open and Jake walked in. “Oh good, I was beginning to think you’d passed out or something.” He said.

 “What time is it?” I squinted at my bedside clock. It read 2:10pm.

Oh wow. I hadn’t realized how late it was.

“Anyway, Mom and Dad left for that lunch party thing, so want to go out for pizza?” he asked.

“Yeah, sure.” I got up from my bed. “Give me half an hour to get ready.”

He groaned. “I’m starving, can’t you go like this?”

I narrowed my eyes at him, catching sight of my reflection in the mirror behind him. I was wearing a Mickey Mouse pyjama set and had a serious case of bed head.

“Okay, you’re right. If you go out looking like that, I’ll have to deny that we’re related.” He joked.

I threw a pillow at him. “Get out!”

He finally left and I went over to my closet to pick out an outfit. I decided on hot pink shorts and a cute white tank top.

I headed straight to the shower. Twenty minutes later, I came out looking much more socially acceptable.

I was putting on lip gloss when Jake walked into my room.

“Seriously? You’re going to waste time putting on makeup when you know how hungry I am?” he questioned.

 “We might meet people I know! I have a reputation to upkeep.” I argued.

 “Okay, okay. Just hurry.” He stood by the door watching me like a hawk, obviously intending to get me to hurry up.

“I’m done.” I put down the tube of lip gloss, pushed my wet bangs out of my eyes and grabbed my shoes. “Let’s go!”

My other brother, Justin, was already waiting by the front door. “You take so long to get ready!” he whined.

 “So I’ve heard.” I ruffled his hair and followed him out to Jake’s car.

We got into it, and I immediately turned the radio on to my favourite station.

It was playing a song by P!NK and Justin and I started singing along.

“Can you guys shut up!” Jake yelled.

“SO RAISE YOUR GLASS IF YOU ARE WRONG!” I sang along even louder.

 “IN ALL THE RIGHT WAYS!” Justin chimed along.

Jake shook his head, but I could tell he was amused.

“We should get ice cream after pizza.” I swung my feet onto the dashboard.

Jake gave me a sideways glance. “Get your dirty feet off my dashboard!”

I made a face at him.

“I have a soccer game today!” Justin reminded us from the backseat.

“What time?” I turned around to look at him.

“It’s at four.” He said.

 “Yeah, Mom told me. I’ll take you.” Jake said.