Chapter 19

Chapter 19

     Her lips tasted like strawberries, and as Davia pulled away, he felt his mind being swaddled in the same pleasantly warm blanket that had dulled his thoughts when they’d first met, felt it being tucked in for the night and kissed on the forehead and reassured that all was right with the world.

     “What happened?” he asked. “You never came back. Where did you go?”

     She winked and poked him in the chest. “That sounds an awful lot like a question.”

     “And a pretty fucking valid one.”

     “I’ve got a question,” she said, leaning in, her lips brushing his ear. “What are you going to do with the dead guy in your freezer?”

     He grabbed her shoulders and held her at arms length. Her question had ripped away the warm blanket; all was definitely not right with the world.

     “You broke in?”

     “No. I unlocked your door.” She didn’t fidget, didn’t strain against his grip. She stood with her feet apart, her arms loose and relaxed at her side.

     “The freezer came with the house,” Paul said.

     “And the guy?”

     “My life’s complicated.”

     “So is mine.”

     “Why didn’t you call the police?”

     “The police and I have never seen eye to eye.” She winked again.

     Paul released her.

     “We both have secrets, Paul.” She kissed him again, lightly, barely a peck. “We both have freezers.”

     The warmth returned. Calm flooded his body.

     “You never asked me how I found you,” she said, grabbing his tie and leading him to the door.

     It hadn’t occurred to him. Why hadn’t it? How had she found him? Did he really care?

     Not one bit.