Chapter 16

Chapter 16 

     “It’s almost three,” Callie said, glancing at her watch. “He’s not coming.”

     Jasper reached into the plastic grocery bag at his feet and pulled out a sack of BBQ pork rinds. He ripped it open and popped two into his mouth. “He’ll come.” He offered her the bag. She wrinkled her nose.

     They sat side by side on a bench near the octopus. At one point in time, a group of people sitting around a table at City Hall, possibly after a long lunch where alcohol may or may not have been served, determined that what Brewer Park really needed was a fountain in the shape of a giant yellow octopus, and had gone out and bought one.

     Jasper stared at the cast iron beast sitting on its pedestal in the middle of the fountain. The sun beat down on the monstrosity and glinted off the jets of water arcing out of the tips of the sculpture’s tentacles.

     “I don’t get it,” Jasper said.

     “What?”

     He pointed at the fountain. “Somebody actually sat down and built this thing. And sold it. Somebody actually made money off it. And the Universe wants to kick my ass.”

      “I still think showing off that camera is a bad idea,” Callie said.

     “Without it, he’s going to think I’m nuts.”

     “And telling him you have a magic camera will make him think you’re sane?”

     “Nope. But it’s all I got.” He stuffed two more pork rinds into his mouth. “Thanks for driving me down here, but you don’t have to stay.”

     “Yeah I do. I want to be around when Alice and her buddies show up to spank you. I have like a billion questions to ask them.” Her eyes shifted to the camera hanging from his neck. “You know what? Take my picture.”

     “Bad idea.” He held up a pork rind. “Have a pork rind instead.”

     Callie plucked the chip from his fingers and tossed it toward a pigeon that had been slowly pecking its way around the base of the fountain. The bird nipped it, squawked, then shot into the air.

     “Look, I realize you didn’t want to take my picture last night because I was drunk, and you probably thought I didn’t mean it, and then I barfed on you -- again, very sorry -- but I’m here, I’m sober, and after what happened at your apartment…I just…” Her hands went to her chest. “I need to know what’s at the end of that…that thing…that rope or whatever you want to call it. And I’ll obsess about it. I know myself. So do a girl a favor and take my picture.”

     “I’m in enough shit already.”

     “I’ll take full responsibility.”

     “I--”

     Callie’s eyes widened and she pointed over his shoulder. “He’s here.”

     Jasper looked to his right. Two women approached him, each pushing a stroller and sipping coffee from giant white cardboard cups.

     “Wha--”

     Callie’s fingernails scratched the back of his neck as she tugged the camera strap up and over his head.

     “Oh come on,” Jasper said as Callie jumped to her feet, camera in hand.

     “Just relax. You can have it back in a second.” She held it at arms length and stared into the lens. “Like I said, I’ll take full responsibility.” She ran a hand through her hair and tucked a few strands behind her ears.