chapter twenty three (re-write)

chapter twenty three: dark history (re-written on 02.22.18)

"What do you mean you know about werewolves?"

After half an hour, I had told my mom, dad, and little brother everything that has happened over the last few weeks. Damien kept opening and closing his mouth with an expression that was torn between believing my story and thinking I was totally insane. My parents' however were another story; they didn't look surprised about hearing about the supernatural world.

My mother kept throwing my father strange looks throughout my story telling and I knew Sergio had caught them as well. "We never really planned on telling you either of you," My father sighed with a distant look in his eyes as my mother slumped in her seat with a sad expression on her face, "We always wanted to keep such a dark part of our lives from the both of you."

The words sounded cryptic and ominous and it made me frown in confusion, "What are you talking about?" I questioned with little patience.

My mother wringed her hands in her lap as she said softly, "I'm half-werewolf." She confessed with a flinch; as if the mere word hurt her severely. She had said it as if it was in a bad way which didn't make sense. Sergio had told me about werewolves and humans mating and it was always rare when the child never ended up shifting. The werewolf gene was strong and dominant therefore cases where a child only received everything but the shifting ability of werewolf were surprising.

But why had my mother sounded so...disgusted about it?

"Is this for real?" Damien demanded as he jumped on his feet, "This can't be, can it? Things like that don't exist." Damien looked upset; as if he was questioning everything he ever knew just like I had when I first found out about werewolves and when I had become a Liulfr.

But the expressions on Papa and Mama Bear's expression were anything but joking. Papa bear was holding Mama Bear's hand tightly. "Were you treated differently because of it?" Sergio questioned with a frown.

My mama looked distraught and nodded, "Out of six children, I was the only one who hadn't shifted. I was basically thrown out at a young age because of it." I listened with anger and sadness because I felt like I was a bad daughter for never asking about my mother's side of the family and I couldn't imagine throwing out your kid because they didn't have the shifting ability; it was cruel beyond comprehension.

"And you thought your children would think badly of you?" I asked with a frown and hurtful tone.

"No," My mother sighed, "I had always wanted to tell you but it was your father's decision not to." She glanced at my dad who was staring at the ground with an almost angry expression, "And for good reason." She mumbled with a dark tone.

"Papa?" I looked at him with question, "What does she mean?"

"This can't be real." Damien mumbles sitting back down in his seat.

"Trust me, the sooner you accept it the better." I told my little brother with an understanding sigh. My mother was glancing at my father and it seemed like they were talking to each other...through a mind link. It was then that it made sense; I had always seen that look but never question it and just passed it off as a weird parent thing.

"It's a dark family history," My father finally relented and leaned back into his chair with a cloudy expression, "A history that I never wanted to be apart of...and especially after I met your mother," I saw my mother squeeze my father's knee in reassurance, "I came from a family that hunted the supernatural for sport." I felt the severity of his words hit me as if a ton of bricks had been dropped down on top of me. I flinched and looked at my mother in shock.