Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Ash's point of view

When the Vampire bit Araguard I couldn't contain the cry that escaped my mouth. I knelt beside her thrashing body, unable to tear my eyes away from her face, twisted with pain. All I could here was the beating of her heart in my ears. Werewolves couldn't survive a Vampire bite, they would die within minutes because there was no cure for something like this. She tossed and turned as if fighting an invisible enemy, her screams of pain echoing through the hall. THUMP, THUMP. THUMP, THUMP, went her heart, already slowing down. I turned my head to see Shanen yelling at the Vampire but he wasn't paying any attention. Enzan and the Vampire's eyes never left Araguard, their faces full of hope and fear, like they had been waiting for this for a long time. THUMP, THUMP. THUMP, THUMP. I turned back to Aria who lay on the ground twitching, her screams never ending. THUMP, THUMP. THUMP...THUMP. Her eyes closed as if preparing for death. THUMP...THUMP...THUMP...Silence. She didn't move, like statue of the woman I loved. Tears escaped my eyes as silence filled the room. I spotted a small movement. A soft moan came from her body. I gasped hardly daring to believe. Araguard sat up, rubbing the spot where she had been bitten. Her sea blue eyes met mine.

"Ash. What... what happened?" She said softly.

Araguard's point of view

They rushed me into a separate room and the Vampire, who introduced himself as Kaden, began check my vitals which is a little hard because when your a Vampire pulse, blood pressure, oxygen levels and blood sugar levels are non existent. I won't lie, I was confused as hell. After I was confirmed to be as fit as I could having just been turned into a Vampire, Enzan sat opposite me with a look of relief and sincerity on his face.

"Araguard, I owe you an explanation. You may not know why but its important I tell you," he said. I nodded feeling confused. After sharing a brief glance with Kaden he took a deep breath and began his story.

"First I will tell you a little about myself. I am one descendants of the elite group who was dedicated to the ending of demons. Kaden is the grandson of the Vampire who first saw the coming of the child of legend. The six of them, one for each race of Mythicals, swore to find the child and help them become the hero they were supposed to be. Not as easy as you might think. The six split up, one heading to each continent to begin the search. Century's passed. Eventually the original six died leaving their task to their grandchildren and great grandchildren. We had almost given up hope. Then one day I was sitting in a park and I saw a small, blue eyed, blond haired girl running across the park like a wild thing, innocent and full of life. I used my power to search her, to see if there was anything there. I was almost thrown backwards by the amount of power emitting from her, the rush of pure energy. That child was you Araguard. I called the others to make sure I was right and no one could deny that you had the potential to be either the one we'd been looking for or the most powerful Mythical ever. We planned our next move carefully. We decided that it would be best to get used to our world before having this responsibility shoved upon you. We watched and waited. You grew into a pretty young girl and we agreed that it was time. If you were older you would refuse to believe that Werewolves exist and if you were any younger then you wouldn't have been ready. We decided that I would bite you first. But when the time came you looked so happy with your family that I almost was afraid to do it. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I watched you carefully. I followed you when you were being brought here. I watched you go through your first shift and surpass all my expectations by not only shifting without instruction but by learning how to use the mental bond between wolves and talking in your head. I continued to watch you grow, making sure you never suspected anything, that you were protected from harm. You didn't help matters by making an enemy on the first day. I couldn't intervene and stop them hurting you without drawing attention to myself. But you continued to grow more powerful, more determined, braver, stronger and more beautiful. You argued and fought Darren and Bruce, you became an expert at earth magic. You even knew about demons! You were ready. We were planning for you to be bitten in a few weeks time but you kind of hastened our efforts. We were both watching you in the woods that day. We both saw what you did. Not only did you use your light magic, proving once and for all you were the child of legend, but you used it expertly to kill that demon. You did freak out afterwards but we weren't surprised by that. Araguard, you are our last hope. You are the true hero we have been waiting for. Please,"he said taking my hands in his. "Help us unite the Mythicals and stop the demons once and for all."

I snatched back my hands and backed away. This was just too much for me to handle. "Do you realise how crazy you sound!" I yelled. He started to interrupt but I raised a hand to stop him. "I am not denying who I am because there is overwhelming evidence to support your claim. But you can't just dump this all on me and expect me to be ok with this! It's like dropping a nuclear bomb and expecting everything to survive! You could have given me a heads up or something. Did it ever occur to you that I wanted a NORMAL life? Did you ever stop to think while on this God forsaken quest that I might not want to do this?! Didn't did it? You were so focused on your 'mission'," I drew quotation marks in he air with my fingers, "that it never crossed your mind that I'm not a hero!" Silence filled the room. I turned and stormed out.

Ash was talking to Riley and Nate in the market when I walked out of Shanen's hall but they stopped and everyone stared at me. I gave everyone my worst look and ran out into the forest. When I run as a Vampire I am just as fast as when I'm a wolf. I was aware of someone following me and I could see Ash's black wolf trying to keep up but I just kept going.

I only stopped when a delicious smell reached my nostrils. A small fire began to burn in my throat, a thirst took hold of me and I ran towards the sent. A woman was jogging through the woods, a tempting prey. Wait, prey? Did I just refer to person as prey? Ash finally caught up but I did not acknowledge him. I was fighting the instinct to feed upon the woman.

"Ash," I rasped, my throat bone dry. "Help me get out of here." He looked confused but after looking at the jogger then me, realisation dawned on him. He gave me a quick nod and ran in the opposite direction. I held my breath and ran after him, marvelling at the fact I didn't need oxygen. When I was far enough that I couldn't smell the jogger I sat on the ground with my head in my hands. Ash shifted and sat down beside me, his warm arm wrapping around my cold shoulders.

"How could this happen?" I murmured holding back sobs. "I'm not a hero Ash, I never asked for this."

"I know, I know," he whispered comfortingly.

"I'm not ready for this," I gasped as the tears broke through. Well actually my tear ducts didn't seem to work so I was just letting out dry sobs.

"Good. If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been proof that you are not," Ash quoted.

"Aslan, really?" I asked.

"What's wrong with quoting Aslan?"

Your not awesome enough to pull off Aslan," I said simply.

"I'll try harder," he grinned. "So what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I think the decision has been made for me. I can't stay here, I have to learn how to control myself. I suppose I will I would have to go with Kaden." I sighed. "I just hate how they can just assume that I would just go along with this."

"I agree. You should have a least been talked to. But have you thought about this from their perspective?" he asked. "They have been looking for you for at least a few hundred years. They weren't going to just let the child of legend slip through their fingers. Remember when the story teller came shortly after you first arrived?" I nodded. He would not stop staring at me. It was like he expected me to suddenly start juggling fire or something. I realise now that he knew who I was but didn't tell me.

I heard footsteps behind me and I reached out with my mind using my vampire powers. The cold mind of Kaden brushed mine.

I sighed. "Ok. I'll go."