Past Midnight

thefanfictionawards nominations for 2016 are officially opened! I'm excited to work with the team and hope to see you guys nominating or being nominated (: Good luck to all participants and for more info, visit our page  💕 ~Sam

Incipient ~45

Riley Gilinsky's pov:

"You never fail to take me out for ice cream," I giggle at Johnson as we sit at a table at an ice cream parlor a few blocks away from the hotel. Jack suggested to take me out for ice cream like he usually does every year.

"It's a tradition. Wasn't planning on breaking it," he smiles and licks his ice cream. "So back to your college visit on Monday. Can I come?"

"Defiantly Jack. Of course you can. You don't have to ask."

"Sick, I can't wait to visit there." I smile and look around the parlor seeing there are quite a lot of people at this time.

"Hey Jack?"

"Yes?"

"How is my brother doing?" He slightly frowns. I can't help to think about him. "Like, without me in the picture, how is he doing?"

"He's... Great," Jack says carefully wondering why I'm asking. "He's happy and nice to his fans. He's Jack." I nod and look down at my ice cream.

"Why do you ask?"

"I was just wondering," I shrug. "Just wondering about my older brother."

"You sure care a lot about him Ri," he says looking guiltily.

"He is my brother," I sigh. "Can't help to think to be mean to him when I worry and wonder about him."

"You worry and wonder about him? After the things you've been through?" I nod to his reply. "I wish I had a sibling like you. It's sad to see the way your family treats you. It isn't fair and you're the most thoughtful one out of them."

"You're more family to me than they are," I faintly smile. "You talk to me, you care about the things I do and do more than G has ever done for me. I'm glad I have you when it comes to family." He nods and smiles looking down guiltily like I've triggered something. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No, no. It's just... You care so much about them when they treat you terribly. The things G has d-" he stops himself.

"What has he done now?"

"It nothing Ri," he shakes his head. "It's nothing."

"It's something Jack. Please tell me." He sighs looking at me.

"I don't want you to be upset."

"What did he do?"

"I'll tell you another time Ri." I nod understanding and we both get up. I reach into my jacket pocket and find the two handmade brackets I made in Hawaii. One is for Johnson and the other is for my brother. I hand Jack his. "Is this for me?" He gently takes it and looks at the design I made into it. I nod and he smiles putting it on.

"Could you possibly give this to Jack? Without telling him it's from me of course," I say softly. It's probably the only way he'd take it and wear it without throwing it away or destroying it.

"Of course I will," he answers and takes the other from my hand. "I'll try to get him to wear it." I nod appreciating that he is going to do this for me. "We should get back to the hotel. I heard from Taylor that you're meeting Aly Raisman tomorrow." He looks down at his phone. "Well today, because it's past midnight."

"I can't wait to meet her," I beam.

"I bet, you've been dreaming about meeting her since... Well a long time. I'm glad you're meeting her." We start to make our way back to the hotel. His phone goes off and he looks at his phone before answering. "Hey..." He looks at me with a nervous smile. "Yeah, I'm out right now. I'm on my way back to the hotel. Do you want anything?" There's a moment of silence before he answers again. "Alright, see you in a few. Bye." He hangs up and looks at me.

"Was that Jack?"

"Yeah, he was wondering where I was."

"Oh."

"Yeah..." We walk back to the hotel in silence and make our way to our room. Once we turn turn into our hallway. We see my brother and Nash. I take Jack's arm slightly as my eyes widens once they notice me. Once we get closer, they stop talking and look at me. G frowns once he sees me and Jack comes in front of me like he's trying to protect me.

"You're joking me right now. Are you serious Jack?" My brother says glaring. "This whole time you were with her?"

"She has a name G. I was taking her out for ice cream. What's wrong with that?"

"You're fucking kidding me right now. What the hell man?"

"I don't want to argue with you right now. She's your sister and I was just trying to be nice to her. Unlike you!" He says defending me. I look at Nash and he rolls his eyes at me and I sigh.

"Unlike me?! Just leave her alone Jack. No one wants her around. I don't want her around. She is a piece of shit and that's why I-"

"You need to stop before I punch you. Do not say it."

"Oh you haven't told her have you?" My brother says amused looking at me.

"Tell me what?" I ask softly.

"You wanna tell her or should I?"

"Don't you dare." My brother ignores him and looks at me.

"I'm the reason you're not going to UCLA." My mouthparts and shock hits me. He's the reason behind all of this? Jack turns to me guilty.

"Wh-what? Why would you do that? I would have moved out of the hou-"

"Because I don't want you to succeed in life. I didn't want you going there and to think I wanted Johnson to see you more often?" Johnson glares at my brother. "What? She wants my honest truth and I'm giving it to her."

"You are an ass," I mumble feeling confused with my emotions.

"Excuse you?" He comes closer and Johnson moves more in front of me. "Johnson get out of the way."

"I'm not going to let you touch her. Back off bro," Johnson says. Now is the time I wish I actually had my room key and my phone. "Ri, go into your room."

"I-I don't have the key," I say quietly.

"She is not sleeping in our room," Nash says.

"Definitely will not happen," G says fuming ready to punch Johnson, but I know he wouldn't do that to him. They're best friends. Even if they were mad at eachother, they couldn't hurt one another.

"Just knock on the door," Jack says calmly to me. I nod doing just that and moments later a sleepy Hayes opens the door.

"Finally," Hayes says. "You came back." He looks past my shoulder and looks confused. "Hey guys."

"Can you please take Riley in?" Johnson begs Hayes and he nods understanding as he takes my arm and I'm now safe in my room.