Legions of Love

A Pre-ROTS One-Shot

Padmé had been so busy lately, and quite frankly tired of work. So many bills, meetings, speeches, and most of all -- duties. That morning, she sat at her desk before a senatorial meeting with the Chancellor and several other representatives, thinking.

I hope this meeting goes well, she thought, biting her nails nervously. Stop it! she told herself straight afterward, catching herself in time to quit her nervous habit. Oh, what am I going to do? The meeting is so important, so serious, it being on the subject of trade. Trade can become so dangerous when it comes to --"

Her thoughts were interrupted when the buzzer rang loudly and she quickly stood up, replying with a light, "Come in!"

The office door slid open, revealing the Chancellor, as well as Bail Organa, Jar Jar Binks, Mon Mothma and Onaconda Farr following him. Padmé smiled respectively and welcomed them all in, supplying seats for them all, the biggest, middle seat reserved for the Chancellor.

"Your Excellency," Padmé said quickly as he took his seat, taking a bow. "It is a pleasure to hold a meeting here in my office with you today."

"Ah, my darling, you mustn't be so formal," Chancellor Palpatine mused, shifting to get comfortable in his chair. "But I thank you for this invite. I thought that perhaps a change would do anyway, correct? We always gather in my office," he said with a chuckle. "Well, shall we get started?"

So as the politicians finished reflecting on their personal recommendations and their final decision, Padmé caught a glimpse of a pair of bright blue eyes in the dark corner, staring right at her. She grinned, trying to hide her smugness by biting her lip casually.

"Any last comments?" Palpatine asked, looking around at the group. He turned to Padmé, smiling. "Miss Amidala. Anything you would like to recommend or bring up about the situation? Or should we just go with our final decision?"

"No, your Excellency. I believe we should take action by putting our decision into effect."

"Alright. Thank you for hosting the meeting in your office, Miss Amidala. It was pleasant." Palpatine said as he followed the rest out of the room. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Chancellor. It was a pleasure," she called after him. As soon as he was out of sight and the door slid shut, Padmé smiled brightly.

"You can come out now, General," she called.

None other than Anakin Skywalker came rushing out of the corner to his wife, lifting her and spinning her in his arms.

Padmé laughed, the kind of laugh that came from deep inside. A laugh with feeling. A warm, real laugh. The laugh she had not heard in months. As Anakin set her down, he buried his face in her neck, taking in his wife's floral, fresh scent. It had been a long time since he had taken in that scent.

Anakin pulled away slowly to look at his wife, admiring her. He scanned her over, smiling. "I missed you so much, Angel..."

"Me too, Ani. Before I had this meeting, you were all I could think about," Padmé admitted, meeting eyes with him. Anakin had been gone on a mission for several months, back on the Outer Rim.

"You're all I could think about." Anakin grinned and pulled a small flower out from behind him, the bloom big and bright pink.

"What's this, Ani?" Padmé said, taking the flower delicately and twirling it in her fingers.

"Just a little something from me and the boys."

Padmé grinned even wider and lifted the flower to her nose, taking in the scent.

"Oh, Anakin, it smells so good! And it's beautiful!"

"You're welcome." Anakin took Padmé's face in his hands and kissed her. "I forgot to mention, speaking of flowers and their uh... scents... you smell great." He paced the office, finally taking a seat in Padmé's chair.

Padmé laughed softly and walked over to him, sitting in his lap. "Thank you. I used the perfume you got me for my birthday this morning."

Anakin pulled Padmé down to lie on his shoulder and kissed her head.

"I love you, Ani."

"I love you, Padmé."

"Never let go of me. Never leave me for that long again."

"Don't worry, Angel, I won't. I promise."