Chapter II

Shortly after I hung up the phone I herd the gravel crunch under the weight of the two cars pulling into the front drive way. I herd the car doors close and the light loud of giddy laughter from my mom and aunt, she sounded happy and that I was grateful for. A moment later the front door opened and in came my mother and aunt. Following behind them was the most sinister yet attractive man I had ever seen. As the lightning in the distance cracked the wind blew the cold rain into the house, and the most spine prickling chill ran down my spine. Something was not right....

After the short introductions I was forced to entertain this strangers daughter, she seemed nice enough a little shy and about my age. Her name was Mariah, and they where just moving to town from a large city. What would bring them to the small boring town of Roseburg Oregon I am not sure, but it was not my place to judge.

“So Mariah where are you and your dad staying?”

“Not far, there is a small hotel just next to the house that my dad inherited, we will stay there until it is fixed up and we can sell the house to buy another.”

“Oh, I am sorry for your lose.”

“No worries, I had never met my great grand father and they say he died suddenly with out any suffering. It is more of a drag to have to leave everyone and my friends back at home in Seattle, to come here. I didn't really have a choice in the matter though.”

There was something about the nonchalant way that she had said this about her grandfather that was a little unnerving. Even if she had not known him at all he was still family shouldn't there be some sort of remorse.

“I can only imagine. I have never lived anywhere but here, but I can tell you already that it is nothing special. There is nothing to do here and only four places in the whole town that are open past 11 pm. All of them gas stations and mini marts.”

Just then my mom walked in with David at her heels, thank god she had interrupted this annoying and uncomfortable small talk. I was never very good at making new friends and always had been shy. So as you can imagine being a host to a perfect stranger was no where near my cup of tea. “David is wanting to get checked into his hotel now, Mariah it was so nice to meet you and thank you for all of your and your fathers help this evening! You are a life savor!” The last part you could tell my mother was directing to David.

“It was my pleasure Sarah, please think nothing of it.”

With that my mother grabbed their coats that where warming by the heater vent and started to walk them to the door.

“Oh, wait she called after them. What is your last name, so I know who to ask the hotel lobbyist for when I call tomorrow?”

“Hinckle, I will see you tomorrow I can not wait” he replyed.

Hearing this I eyed my mother suspiciously and she waved good by, something about that name sounded very familiar but I could not pin point it.

“So, what happened?! Are you going to see him again? It sounds like someone has a crush!”

“Emmy! Stop, he is just a nice man that is new in town and does not know anyone yet. That is it, I promise.”

“No mom really I am happy for you, just doesn't he seem a bit,... oh I don't know strange?”

“What do you mean?”

“Oh never mind it is nothing, I am sure it is just me being me. You know how I can be” I smiled at her quickly to know that what I was saying was genuine and that I supported her decision.

“Well its late, I am going to go to bed. I have school tomorrow.”

“You are right, look at me one night out and all responsibilities are out the window. What kind of example am I setting?”

“Mom stop, this was your first time out in how long, I am not a baby anymore. Goodnight”

“Good night Emmy, and Thank you for the advice. You where right!”

I started to walk up the stairs twords my bedroom, mixed emotions flowing through me. I was very happy for my mom but at the same time something was just strange about the situation.

After my nightly routine of taking a shower, putting on a pair of PJ shorts, and brushing my teeth I climbed into bed and quickly drifted off to sleep.

******************************************

Let me know what you guys think, I have a ruff draft of the next chapter laid out and this is when it starts to get good.  Don't forget to vote and comment!