Chapter 5

Elliana quickly got out of bed and brushed her hair. She hesitated when she grabbed clothes though, realizing that none of the wizards that she had met yesterday had been wearing normal clothes. All she had were the clothes that she had brought from her parents house, but these seemed too mundane to wear when it seemed wizards all dressed in robes and cloaks. She hadn't seen a single person besides herself wearing jeans. 

She tentatively opened the door to her bedroom, emerging again into the living area. Snape sat in the emerald green armchair reading a newspaper.

"You're not dressed." He stated plainly, hardly looking up from his paper as she entered the room.

"I don't know what to wear..."

"What do you mean you don't know what to wear? He sounded surprised and mildly irritated. "You're eleven years old aren't you? Have you never dressed yourself?"

"I have. It's just..." He lowered the paper to look at her as she continued, "All of you- you all wear robes, and I just have my normal clothes."

Understanding dawned on Snape as he realized what his daughter's problem was. "What you have will be fine. Plenty of wizarding children wear muggle clothes, especially those who attended muggle primary school."

She sighed lightly, and then remembered to ask "What is a muggle?"

"Someone without magic."

Satisfied with his answer, Elliana returned to her room and got dressed in her normal muggle clothes.

When she returned, her father said that they needed to shop for her school supplies and that they would be doing this in a place called Diagon Alley. He lead her back up through the dungeons and through the main part of the castle. They passed the Great Hall where some of the other professors from the night before were sitting and eating. Instead of joining them, they continued through the front doors of the castle and down the path she had walked with Professor Dumbledore. 

As they approached the gates at the bottom of the hill, Snape said "We aren't able to apparate from within the school grounds, so we must come out here." 

Remembering the first time she apparated and how uncomfortable it was, her stomach turned and knotted itself up. Once outside the gate, Snape offered his daughter his elbow, just as Dumbledore had done. She grabbed tightly, realizing this is the closest she had ever been to this man who was her parent. Before she had too long to think about it, she felt the tug of reality shifting and suddenly they gone.

When their feet hit solid ground again, Snape reached out and steadied Elliana before she was able to fall like she had with Dumbledore.

"Thanks" she said, a little breathless, but better off than the first time that she apparated. She looked around to see where they had landed and she realized they were on a busy street filled with people. None of them even seemed to notice that two people had just appeared out of thin air in front of them. On closer inspection, she saw that many of them dressed similar to the professors at Hogwarts, and decided that they must all be wizards.

"Diagon Alley is essentially a wizarding shopping center where you can buy magical items like wands and potions ingredients. Here is a list of the items you will need for school" Snape said as he pulled a letter out from one of the inner pockets of his black robes.

She looked over the list that he handed to her. "A wand?!" She asked excitedly.

"Shall we?" Snape asked as he gestured to the shop directly to their right, 'Ollivander's'

The pair entered and a little bell over the door rang brightly. Elliana looked around in amazement. There were hundreds-maybe thousands of slim boxes stacked everywhere that she could see. Some were neatly on shelves while some were stacked precariously on top of one another on the shop counter and on various shelves around the crowded room. Among the boxes, she didn't see another person until Snape cleared his throat loudly and a man appeared from the back of the store.