Chapter 25* Blast of the Past

“What did you do to her?”

Gemini looked over to Zoey and Sam, sighed, and waved his hands. Their bonds clicked open, and they rushed away from the swinging chains. Zoey rubbed her wrists, and stared at Gemini defiantly. Her dark eyes slanted over her cheekbones, and she looked so much like-

“I sent her into the Void. It is where all spirits reside, a resting place before the Underworld. Though it is rarely peaceful.” He gave a harsh laugh. “Your Kayla must fight her way out, detach herself from Ariadne and return. Ariadne will not be able to return- she is a spirit. If Kayla wins, Ariadne will be too weak to latch herself onto Kayla as she leaves. And I already set up a spell that will sieve out any spirits that try to hitch a ride back to the world of the living.”

Sam nodded faintly. He was so pale, Gemini was afraid he would keel over any second.

He told himself he didn’t know why he was helping them. The truth was, he did.

It was that girl. Zoey. It wasn’t her, he knew, but she looked so much like her that the truth was hard to discern. Same raven-black hair. Same dark eyes, set into an olive-toned face, same lanky fingers. They were so alike it was a physical hurt. Of course, Gemini knew the truth. His mortal lover had already succumbed to Death, and had joined the world of the dead. He knew Hades liked to torture her, for the fun of taunting him and his absence on Olympus. Gemini knew he was weak for not having the courage to go down and save his beloved. If he did, she would return to this earth a shell, and her soul lost in the Void. And he couldn’t do that to her.

And here she was, clear as day, with the same attitude and determination. Even if Zoey was not her, how could he deny them his help?

He’d been sitting on it for a long while, of course. Debating with himself on the right course of action. But he hadn’t really a choice, and there had never been a question as to what he would do in the end.

“How long will she be like this?” Zoey said. Looking up, he blinked.

“There’s no telling,” he replied. Zoey took a cautious step closer.

“In the meantime, you can tell us how to defeat the Gods.”

I am burning. I am on icy fire. A cold pain, and hot heat that sears me, tears me apart. I am on icy fire. I cannot breathe. No more strength to scream. No more strength to fight. I cannot even think a coherent thought. I don’t know my name. Who am I? Where am I? There is no knowing. There is only an agony spent in waiting, focusing on each struggling breath as it rattles in and out of me.

I am sprawled on the ground. The light is gone. There is only that magma darkness. My extremities are all numb and paralyzed. Swallowing, I try to muster the strength to lift my head. It is quite impossible.

A cackle tears through the darkness. “Kayla Richards!” it screams. “Helpless and weak! And this time, there’s no one here to save you!” I recognize that voice, it is Ariadne. I remember now. She took over my body and made me hurt the people I love. Even Zoey. I hated her, but things had changed. Now she was someone I had to protect. A white-hot anger sears through me, breathing fire into every corner of my mind. The gears creak and start working. I start working. I find I can sit up, though every inch of me feels like it’s been pulverized by a meat tenderizer. Blinking, I stand and shake myself out like a dog, feeling my muscles loosen and warm up.

Somehow, without being told, I knew what had just happened. That was the separation. The tearing of our souls, Ariadne’s and mine, which had been merged together. I was truly my own person again. Somewhere, Ariadne’s spirit was floating around. I have to find my way back into the world of the living, and Ariadne will hinder me every part of the way.