Chapter 39 .: The Encampment :.

.: Chapter 39 :.

The Encampment

       That shut Cazedrin up. Red-faced, he sat down, tightlipped. The red-haired female gave Alix and Luna a small smile of approval.

       When the group disbanded, Percival sent his officers ahead of him. “I apologize for Cazedrin’s behavior,” he said to them, bowing.

       Sicham waved his apology away. “I’ve known Cazedrin since he graduated from the Elitist Academy. The fool’s sillier than a cat. It’s a shame his tactfulness isn’t half as good as his skill in combat.”

       Amax still looked sour. Luna, grinning, asked him go on ahead of her .He obliged, but looked questioningly back at her and Percival.

       Percival eyed her warily as she scuffed the ground with her foot. “I’m rather protective of my hair right now,” he told her. “If you cut it again while we’re among all these people—“

       “Thanks,” she blurted.

       Percival stopped, his face blank.

       “For the pills,” Luna added. “And the energy tablets. They came in useful. Uh, and I’m sorry about your hair.”

       At this he cracked a small smile. “It’s a bit late for that, isn’t it?”

       Luna turned beetred and sped off towards Amax. “Sorry about that.”  

       “You’re awfully friendly with him,” Amax said quietly. “Be careful, these Bellatorian folk don’t like us much.”

       She shrugged. “Some are decent,” she allowed grudgingly, thinking of Percival and Leya. Though she certainly agreed with him on one front; Cazedrin had definitely not been hospitable to Bellatoria’s guests.

       “You like him,” Amax said bluntly, a strange edge to his voice. “I thought you hated all of Bellatoria—like we do.”

       Luna stared at him. “Blind hate is just as stupid as justified hate,” she told him. “Enough with this.” She stretched out her arms. “It looks like some of your friends are waiting for you.”

       Amax looked displeased at this and started off at a run at them.

       Luna decided she would go find Warrin, worried that he was still not his usual self.

       Warrin, however, seemed to be doing quite well despite his initial unease. It seemed that he and his master Dillia, a gentle-looking woman in her fifties, was actually leading things, for all that they were newcomers. She saw another pair she recognized—Aly and Yora.

       “I see you’re doing well,” she said, coming up behind Warrin. He paused in his rearranging of bandages to look over. He grinned when he saw her. “How are the antidotes coming?”

      “We’ve finished making another batch,” Aly said, bringing over a small vial of the same green liquid. “A good thing, too,” she added. “We have to treat all the already injured people. The poison seems to be acting quickly.” She gestured around at all the supplies and murmured to her, “They have an abundance of supplies, sure, but their herbs aren’t comparable to ours.” Luna grinned.

      Luna talked with Warrin while Aly went to put her things away. “You’re doing well,” she said lightly, clapping him on the back.

       Warrin breathed a sigh of relief. “I don’t like this place,” he confided. “I know it’s outside of the actual city, but still. However...” He gestured around the large tent. “I’m comfortable here, if nowhere else.”