Chapter 32 .: Trust :.

.: Chapter 32 :.

Trust

      After they had put their plates away, they followed Jax down to the training courts on a different floor. Luna was amazed by the time taken into the detail of the place, right down to each floorboard. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it was sturdy, fit to hold at least a couple hundred people. There was lighting underground, made possible by several altered spells she assumed, and plenty of space.

      When she asked Jax how many people now lived here, he replied that there were about six hundred people in total. About half of them were women, children, or elderly—the other half were able, strong warriors. “Of course,” he’d added, “There’re some women who refuse to watch the children—they fight like men, they’re treated like any other soldier.”

      Luna could hardly believe it had changed so much over a couple years. She could see that behind it all, Amax ran the entire operation. She’d seen how the others looked to him for instruction, and followed his every command.

      She knew he didn’t like it. He’d never liked being in charge—but it was in his blood, like it had been in his uncle’s. He could hardly step away from the duty.

      “Here we are,” Jax announced as they turned a corner. “Aldric is probably in here...” He pushed open a door where several children Aldric’s age were sparring. “Where’s Aldric?” he asked.

      One of them piped up, “He’s gone in the other room. He’s sparring with the older kids.”

      “The older kids?”

      “The one across the hall.” Another pointed with his wooden practice sword.

      The three exited the room and peered through the door’s crack.

      “We don’t let them hold swords until they’re twelve,” Jax explained. “Basic education from age seven, and simple chores. Once they’re twelve, they can choose to help out anywhere—the infirmary, the armory, and so on—but most of them choose to become a warrior.” He pointed in the room they’d just left. “The kids in there just picked up swords a week ago.”

      “Mmn.” Luna knew that Aldric, who had trained with her restlessly for hours on end, had always wanted to train with kids his own age.

      Jax opened the door and was about to say something when Luna stopped him. She wanted to see how he did without knowing she was there to supervise.

      Aldric was paired up with a boy who looked to be at least fifteen or older, and they were quite evenly matched. Aldric was holding his sword almost lazily, watching his opponent for any openings. Luna would’ve rapped his knuckles and told him off for not keeping the proper posture if she’d been there.

      The boy charged, and Aldric foiled him by stepping to the side. He dove in and under the boy’s swing and their swords clattered together.

      If the boy was fifteen, then he’d have had three years of training, which was the same amount Aldric had had.

      She smiled despite herself. Luna knew her training had little to do with his progress. Aldric’s determination and desire to become stronger had made him who he was now.  

      “He’s good,” Jax said, mild surprise in his voice. “He’s evenly matched with Brian. Brian is one of the better ones, too.”

      “Evenly matched?” Leya repeated. “I hardly think so.” Jax asked her what she meant. She pointed at his sword grip. “Look at his stance. How loosely he’s holding the practice sword. He’s hardly trying. He’s watching his opponent but he’s hardly using the amount of concentration Brian is.”